Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Valentine PJs

What do you do on a cold winter day when you're stuck at home and bored? How about sew a new pair of pajamas! Last week we had a really depressing day ... we dropped off one car (David's) to be worked on (cha-ching $$$), then got home and the van (my "mom-mobile!") wouldn't start. Totally dead - just click click click. (That's the sound when you turn the key - no chugging or whatever you call it). We got David's car back, but the van is still dead. David's been working on it - we're hoping to avoid towing it somewhere to be fixed! Grrr, if there's anything (besides kids) that is a bottomless pit for sucking up money, I'd like to know what it is.

But anyway -- onto the pajamas. Ruby was dying of boredom and said "what can we do?!" so I asked if she wanted to pick out some fabric from my shelf for some pj pants. I had about a yard of this cute polka dot flannel which worked perfectly. She helped as much as she could, but let's be honest, it was mostly my project. They came together quickly and she was able to wear them that night.

Most of the time when making simple pj pants for my kids, I don't use an actual pattern - and just trace around a pair of their pants (like Dana shows here). But I thought it would be good to show Ruby the basics of how to use a "real" pattern. This girl's gonna be sewing her own things before long!



We lucked out and I had a red Tshirt in my stash, too. I buy them when I find good sales, just to have on hand for stuff like this - or the etsy shop, or bday gifts, etc. I told her we could put whatever she wanted on the shirt and she chose a heart.

Simon was close on our heels and wanted to be in the photo, too. Hand-me-down pjs from Max for him. But does it look like he cares? :)



Update! As I was getting ready to post this, David was in the garage working on the van. And guess what?! He got it running! He replaced several parts (don't expect me to get technical here) and spent less than $50! The cost of a tow truck alone would have been at least that much. Woo hoo! Love that smart car guy of mine. We still may look into a new van, though, because this one is like a cat on it's 9th life. Who knows how much longer it will last. And with four kids soon, a van is pretty much a necessity!

Linking up to Fabric Tuesday!

5 comments:

AnnieK said...

Too adorable! (and the pj's are pretty cute, also)

Becky said...

Yea! I just made some PJ's too, although yours are far cuter, as is your model LOL My boys are cute, in a tween / teen sort of way, but they were far cuter when they were little like yours! Enjoy that special time!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Those pi's are adorable! As are the kids!

Michelle said...

your kids are so stinkin' CUTE! oh and BIG SIGH on the van!! my car is in the shop as we speak. another sigh :-)

Megan said...

Cute PJs!!! And adorable kids as always. I can't believe you can cut, pin and sew so fast.

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates