The lighting is not the best, since I took these photos late at night in the kitchen. That's when all of my sewing happens, in case you were wondering!
Here are the big pieces I've made. I was originally planning on making a solid hexagon quilt out of them ...
...but I decided to cut them into 12" squares. I'm going to put white strips of sashing between the squares. At least I think I'll do white. Any thoughts on that? The queen size quilt will need 42 squares, so I still have a ways to go. Each square takes probably 40+ hexagons! So far there are no repeats, unless it happens accidentally. Thankfully I got a lot of awesome fabric from the Scrap Swap in February! I love how bright and colorful it is. Totally random and crazy. This is definitely not your grandma's hexagon quilt. (not that there's anything wrong with that. *wink*)
Have you tried making hexagons? I'd love to see what you've made with them. If not, you should try ... they are very fun!
And to help you (one of you) get started, I'm giving away my very own
hexagon starter kit!
what's in it?
They are a great project -- and a portable one, too boot! Take them in the car or while you wait for your kids at swimming lessons. These videos from Texas Freckleswere all I needed to learn. I know there are lots of "how to's" around the blogosphere. This link (scroll down) has a lot of posts about hexagon-making. Give it a try if you haven't already!
So, if you'd like me to mail you this little stack of fabric and hexagon pieces...
{leave separate comments for each entry}
happy hexing!
I'll leave this open til next Monday, June 6th.
p.s. if you leave a comment as "anonymous" --
make sure I know who you are or how to contact you!
linking up:



what's in it?
So, if you'd like me to mail you this little stack of fabric and hexagon pieces...
- leave a comment on this post.
- get an extra entry if you are a NEW follower, or if this is your first time commenting on my blog!
- blog about it and/or link to it on your facebook for an extra entry as well. (leave me a link to it)
{leave separate comments for each entry}
happy hexing!
I'll leave this open til next Monday, June 6th.
p.s. if you leave a comment as "anonymous" --
make sure I know who you are or how to contact you!
linking up:














142 comments:
Eek! This is so awesome! I'm working on hexies at the moment, too. I'm finding it a great stress reliever, but now I'm stressing out that I'm running out of fabric (I'm doing mine charm style, too. I've posted some shots on my blog if you want to take a look... Pinsandbobbins.blogspot.com
Um, I guess I'm comment #2, too because I just became a follower!
Well, I've followed for a few months and I've commented a few times, so I'm out on the second entry. I have been wanting to start a hexi quilt though! Where do you find the templates? Do you print them or buy them?
@ Anonymous -- I buy them at a local quilt shop. You can find them online, too. when I'm running low, I trace them and cut more :)
And please leave your name ... I have no idea who you are, if you win! :)
I would love some hexagon starters! Definitely would be motivating, as I love the look of them, but dread cutting out all those little templates! Thanks for the chance to win ... yzobela at hotmail dot com
And that was my first comment on your blog (although I've been following for a while)!
I think I totally make a hexagon! lol not sure what I would do with them after that, but I want them!
- Jenell
Brooksfamdownunder@gmail.com
linking on fb!
Jenell
Brooksfamdownunder@gmail.com
When you finish this quilt you had better enter it in the EISF! Because with that much hand stitching you a re a real contender!
I love the look of the hexagons! I have been trying to start a quilt for months but haven't decided exactly what I want to do. The hexagons are perfect because I can use a lot of different patterns of fabric and it would be easy to pick up when watching tv.
Elizabethvblank@gmail.com
This is also my first time commenting, yay!
Posted on fb.
http://touch.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsewsara.blogspot.com%2F2011%2F05%2Fwhat-hex.html&_rdr&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ftouch.facebook.com%2Fsharer.php&refid=9&m_sess=1z32Ln-kpVT6IK4#!/a/sharer.php?refid=0
Elizabethvblank@gmail.com
I'd love to give this a try. I like that its portable!
Sara!
Once again, I LOVE your quilt. I LOVE your style. You have such a talent!! I would love to try it!!
Hi! Your hexacons are so so beautiful and I love the unique way you have cut tem blocks! White sashing makes them just perfect! I'm so fond of white with bright colours!
And...I love hexacons but have made only by crochet...was too affraid to start and now with your present I could learn that!
Thank you for a great giveaway!
Sunny wishes from Greece!
nerospost@gmail.com
I'm your follower - and would love to start hexacons!
nerospost@gmail.com
wowzers ive never seen this before! im new to quilting like really new haha even tho my mother is a quilter she lives in a different state.but omg wow these are just amazing i love how you piece them together .im off to follow.and thanks for your comment on my blog.
oh and im in the process of making my own quilt but a nice simple charm square one to start with i can see why people love to do this its rather relaxing.
hugs
xo
Love hexagons. I am almost out of templates and this would save me from making my own. THANKS!!!
Wow! That's going to be an amzing quilt! Can't wait to see it. I've never done hexies....now I'm ready to try....you've inspired me!
What the HEX?!!! How great is that! I tried one once, but maybe I was too rushed for a project and didn't really enjoy it. Plus it was only one that I had to make. SOOO maybe I will try again-lol:)
I think this is my first time to your blog:) So many Sara's out there, including me;)
Yeah! It IS my first time commenting! :) I found your blog today through quiltstory's link up.
I love that you cut them into squares. This is the first Hexie quilt I actually like. Thanks for sharing a great idea.
I added your giveaway to my blog http://gapquilter.blogspot.com/p/giveaways.html
I am now one of your followers! :)
I have never made a hexy but I am going to check out the link you posted and give it a try! I would love to win your stash and hexagon pieces to learn on!m :)
I posted about your giveaway on my facebook page!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1138010347
I could use some fresh fabrics for my own hexie project. Thanks for the opportunity!
Considering my obsession with hexagons I would LOVE this!
Next two quilts I want to work on are hexagons and dresden plate. I love hand embroidery and thought I would really enjoy the hand piecing. It is nice to not be glued to the sewing machine sometimes. :) This is an awesome giveaway, thanks!
New Follower! Found you from Quilt Story's Fabric Tuesday Link up. :)
Oh! I so wanna make this quilt. Its on my bucket list since 2002.
Love hexagons! Yours are cute. = ) Never thought of cutting them into squares...
And, that was my first comment on your blog. = )
Your hexies look beautiful! I have yet to try these but keep thinking I should...this could be the boost I need to just give it a go ;) Thanks for the giveaway!
I'd love to win, have never tried hexagons before!
I think I get an extra entry because I think this is my first time to comment on your blog! (Found you at Quilt Story).
And for sashing...I'm a gray lover, so you might audition a piece of gray and see if you like it better than white. I like white too, but it might show stains easily if this will be used a lot!
I haven't made anything with hexagons yet but have a start on making them. They are a great take a long project. I like how you cut them into squares...a white sashing would work well.
This is my first time commenting on your blog. Just found your link through quiltstory. I've bookmarked you.
So much loveliness! I say you should try a shade of purple for framing. I made a block this way and it makes such an impact.
I am making yo-yos but I think hexagons would be more fun!
This is the first time I have commented on a post.
I would love to win these. I need a good hand sewing project for all the camping trips we will be going on this summer. Thanks for the opportunity to win!=)
I'm a new follower, though I have read your blog for quite a while now.
I would love to win! I have always wanted to try hexies, but have never been brave enough to try. :)
Sadly, I am not a new follower...I have commented on your blogs several times. I guess that'll teach me! LOL.
Mary
http://www.quiltgenius.com
I had to laugh - the first paragraph of your blog post is almost exactly what I've written on my own blog lately! I've just discovered a love for hexagons - I'm working on a vintage look cushion.
I love your idea of making square blocks, they'll look amazing with some solid sashing!
Come take a look if you get the chance - Sew Ray Me
Oh and your giveaway is a bonus as I was going to comment anyway! *This is also my first time commenting!*
Oh - just re-read your instructions for the giveaway -
this is my second comment to let you know that my previous comment was my FIRST comment?!!
(if that makes sense)
Sew Ray Me
I am a new follower :)
I would love to win this to give it a try. I've never done hexagons before.
Love it! I love what you're doing with yours, I think 12" blocks are perfect!!! They look so crisp. I got a hexi kit when I was at H's back in March...haven't seen it since!! :)
I'd love to have a first go at hexagons. haven't even come close to making anything as detailed as that.
So cute! I love that you mentioned this is portable. I've been trying to think of a "portable" project to take to our family vacation this year. This just might be it!
Wowwy! That's a lot of hexies! I've never done them before but I've seen so much great stuff made from them. Don't know how to do them either but would love to try. Thanks for the great giveaway!
Hi, I swa this hexy goodness on Fabric Tuesday and had to surf in -- the giveaway is just a great bonus. Love all the variety in your hexies. Here's what I've been making mine for, since you were wondering ;-)
http://quispamsisquilter.blogspot.com/2011/05/hey-there-hexy-ladies.html
I've been wanting to start playing with hexies for a while now, so this would be perfect!
It's hard to say for sure, but I think this might have been my first comment.
Wow - that's a lot of hexagons! I like the idea of cutting them into square blocks!
I've only made 1 small projects usin hexies, but I'd love to make a hexie quilt at some point.
And I'm a new follower!
I love Hexys! I'm making a very "old-fashioned, traditional" type Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt with some now..... but am eager to do a more bright, funky something w/ hexys!
~robin
welchrobin@Hotmail.com
Love this! I have been wanting to work with hexagons and came across a fun project using them in American Patchwork and Quilting!
This would be a perfect project for my upcoming trip! thanks for the opportunity.
I have some hexagons from my grandmother that I keep thinking I should finish. Maybe I will, once I finish making my replica of one of her quilts. You can find the link to that below.
I love handwork. Glad you've gotten addicted, too. :)
Stopping in from Quiltstory. My link is http://carolburris.com/quilting/may-dogwood-quilt-update/
And this is my first time to your blog. :)
And I "liked" you on Facebook. :)
Love hexagons. I never thought I would, but it was just too strong. They pulled me in. ;)
I've been looking for a simple hand-sewing project...this would be perfect!
I've been following for a while now, but this is my first time commenting!
Linked the giveaway on my fb page!
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1263605320
This is my first comment! Love your blog and great ideas! Hope I win :)
Also posted your link on Facebook!
I've been thinking about a hand project for a long road trip later this month. This would be perfect.
I'm a new poster on your blog
wow, i LOVE the start to your quilt! and this is an awesome giveaway! always wanted to try hexies, this would be a good incentive! :)
this was my first visit and comment on your blog :)
I'd love to try this! Thank you!
Btw, I love the look of the squared up blocks!
I've never worked on hexie's. I really like them, but been shy about trying. Your's look wonderful. I think the solid white sashing would really be cool.
well i just love these hexagons so much and i want to make a hexagon quilt so bad now!
How cute! I never thought to just CUT them into a square!! Love it! I'm working on an I Spy hexie quilt now! What a great little starter kit! Jenn
First time commenting on your blog! I love the hexagon quilt and I've always wanted to learn how to make them!
I linked up your giveaway at http://www.craftbuds.com/giveaway-roundup/
And I've been wanting to try Hexagons--where do you get your cardboard templates?
Sounds fun!! A hexagon quilt.:)
-Melanie
melaniefullmer@yahoo.com
I'm not a new follower.:( (sad because I don't get another entry for that.)
This is my first visit. Blogger hates me today so not able to follow you. Your concept for the quilt is very unique. I like the white sashing because think it allows all the fabulous color of your hexies to show off. Wow! you've done a lot of work on this quilt.
Thanks for all the links on hexagon making. I would enjoy trying my hand using your real papers (instead of mine I attempted to cut from magazine reply cards). My method makes wonky hexies - not good for putting together flowers. Please enter me into your drawing.
That will be quite the quilt when done. Modern and old-fashioned all rolled into one. I'm not sure how you brought yourself to cut them, but I can't wait to see it finished.
I have been terrified to try them so far, but I love the look of the hexagons! I am starting to hype myself up to give it a try. Thanks for the tips and the link to a good tutorial.
Sara, what an amazingly creative prize! I have been reading about hexagons, and looking at hexagons in various blogs, and I have serious hexagon envy! You are going to make it easier for some lucky winner -- maybe me!
I am a new follower! WOO HOO!
Okay I think you have just started a new something that everyone is going to be making! OMG - HECK! what a great way to use hexies!
This is going to be beautiful. I love how you are making hexagon blocks!
and I am now a new follower!
I making hexagons now for a pillow. It's perfect for me, I love hand sewing.
I have never made a hexagon, and your kit would be perfect for a newbie like me!
This is the first time I've commented on your blog--found you via Craft Buds!
Awesome!
Thanks for the chance :D
New Follower ;D
Shared on FB;
http://www.facebook.com/PeachRainbow/posts/158590867539741
Pick me! :D Here's my FB: http://www.facebook.com/craktpot
I just started making hexies about a month ago. I love getting back to hand stitching. Your quilt is great and the kit is a cute idea! I tried to be a follower but Google is having a moment apparently. I am a first-time commenter, though. :]
Me again, I blogged your give-away: http://handiwerx.blogspot.com/2011/06/hexie-freebie-i-just-found-sew-saras.html
Lovely give-away!!
I have been cutting out squares and am anxious to start. Like how you cut htem into 12 inch squares
Ive never tried these! I'd be pleased to win and start my own hexies. jjjcwebb [at] hotmail [dot] com
P.S. First time posting to your blog. I shall be back though. jjjcwebb [at] hotmail [dot] com
Must pick me! I have been wanting to try hexies for a while now! Awesome giveaway! I love how you cut them into 12" blocks - fabulous!
Just started making hexagons myself...so fun!!
thank you for sharing :)
What a cool giveaway! I have just started to think about learing to make hexies. I thoughthat it would pack well when we are going on motorcycle trips and I could do it sitting in campgrounds! Did you ever try to pack a sewing machine on a Harley it does not work well! I would just love to win this giveaway! Thanks for the chance!
mrsunclefuzzy(at)gmail(dot)com
I am now a new follower of your blog with google frioend connect
mrsunclefuzzy(at)gmail(dot)com
I would love to try hexagons!
new follower
Hi there! This is my first time on your blog and I am loving it! I loved the tutorials on rag blankets! I have been interested in Hexagons lately too!
Amanda Willson
I would love to win the hexagon kit!!! I am wanting to start a quilt for the living room. (I start big I guess).
I just shared it on my facebook! http://www.facebook.com/amandaywillsonyeater
I love all of your cute Hex's. This is my first time seeing or hearing about Hexagons for a quilt. I would love to make a fun Hexagon quilt myself! I have been wanting to make a quilt for awhile now and this would be a perfect way to get started. You are so talented!!
Shared it on FB. http://www.facebook.com/jessicafolsomburton
I would love to give this a try! thanks! yours are lovely!
butler83ataoldotcom
I have been wanting to try some hexies but haven't been brave enough!
I'm a new follower!
I love hand stitching! This totally seems like something I can do! By the way.. Max looks adorable with the mayor, love that kid!
OOOHH! Pick me!! I'm getting crazy-quilted-out & need a new project! I'd LOVE to try this :)
Love your blog Sara!
love hexagons!! yours look great! what size are your templates?
I would love to give these a try. I keep seeing them all over blogworld and definitely want to try my hand at some. Thanks for the great giveaway!
Hi Sara! Congrats on the little one. I miss "brand-new ones".
You don't need to enter me in this contest, I just wanted to tell you how much I love the hex blocks. (I'm a hexie junkie - even tiled my bathroom floor with them!)
And thanks for the mention at the busybean - 'preciate it ;)
PS: I still have your cute red/white pen from the meetup on my desk here. Love it.
This sounds like great fun, I'd love to give it a try!
I'm commenting for the first time so will enter once more in hopes of winning! Love your blog! - Linda
I'm a first time visitor (and commentor, obviously!) Love your blog and your beautiful quilts. I've never done anything more complicated than squares, so this would be great! Thanks,
gabengayle@verizon.net
Your hexagon quilt is amazing. It would be lovely to have one made up from fabric left overs as a reminder of all your sewing projects.
I am a new blog follower
New follower!
I'm dying to try hexies! And I need something to do next month when we go on vacation and I'm stuck in the car for several hours! Thanks for the giveaway!
This is my first time on this blog. I am very interested in starting to do hexies and LOL I have lots of scraps to start doing these. Something cool to spend my time doing when I have to go to the Veterans Hospital with my husband. Thank you
I would love to try making hexagons! They have always intimidated me but a starter kit would be the perfect kick in the pants to get me going! Thank you!
I think i'll just get this in by the dead line! I'd love to try hexies but i'm too nervous at the moment. I think this could be the kick i need!
i love this giveaway! Thanks. I have my fingers crossed!
i now follow on gfc!!
That's so pretty! I love the way you cut the sections into squares! I've never tried hexes before.
Oh my goodness! Your project pics are gorgeous! Would love to learn to work with these!
Thanks for the chance!
New follower! :)
Hi, Just letting you know that I'm linking today's blog post to this post!
Getting there with my hexies....!
Sew Ray Me
First time commenting on your blog!
just found it as I have become fascinated with hexagons and want to make a quilt using them...
love the way your setting yours in blocks!
ah I can see doing that as well!
thanks!
would love to win so I can make a mini quilt with these fabrics!
Kathie a new follower too!
I'm so sorry I missed your giveaway. I came over today from a comment that Deb at Clutteredquilter left on Audrie's blog blueisbleu. Anyway go to my blog if you like to take a peek at the hexagon quilt my daughter is putting together. Very traditionally though. I like what you are doing with yours.
Post a Comment