Friday, September 16, 2011

WWYD?



We didn't find out the gender with our first 3 kids. We love the surprise at the end and the anticipation the whole way through. David likes the part where he gets to say "It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!" I like that part, too, and I'm saying with relief, "It's OUT!"

But I'm leaning toward finding out this time. Partly because I want to sew/buy gender-specific quilts/blankets/clothes. Also I wonder what it's like just to know! But will I be sad if we "ruin" the surprise? Is it like peeking at a Christmas gift and then regretting it? I do love surprises.

I told David I wanted to post a poll about this and he laughed "oh yeah let's let your blog friends decide" - haha. But I'm just curious what y'all think. 

So - just for fun, vote in the poll over on the sidebar. Leave a comment if you want to tell me how you voted! :)

46 comments:

Mrs. Gorbe said...

I like finding out because to ME, it's a surprise no matter whether it's in the ultrasound room or the delivery room. I found I felt a closer bond more quickly when I knew that Lucky was boy. Emma , we weren't sure about and I think it delayed that bond...

Anonymous said...

We found out with all of ours. I agree with Mrs. Gorbe that it's a surprise no matter when you find out, but even though I liked knowing ahead of time, I think it would be fun to find in the delivery room. I voted to leave it a surprise, but either way it will be fun.

Amy C. (JJG)

Leanne said...

I'm with Mrs. Gorbe. You know, if you find out then you have TWO wonderful, surprising days. One when you find out the gender and once when you deliver and know what s/he looks like, feels like, etc. GO FOR IT!

holmesfamily8 said...

I loved finding out! So much fun to think about names, and the baby becomes that much more real to you when it is "he" or "she". I do wish I had done one surprise, but with twins I just couldn't! Either way it's a wonderful time!

Dean Packham said...

Grandpa Dean says, "Sure, try finding out this time. It may be good for the kids' expectations, too...make plans, think of names, etc."

MommyMert said...

Doesnt hurt to try it once to see if you like it. It IS a surprise during the ultrasound and that makes it exciting. I like to be all prepared. Its easier for me to start thinking of the baby as a person. But if I had another I would wait until delivery room because it would be fun to try that way too. You have had it that way, maybe you would like a chance to try it the other way. Plus, you will have much more time BEFORE the baby comes to sew away. Either way it will be special. You could always take all the kids to the ultrasound and make it special for them too, as you probably wont have them in the delivery room.

Anonymous said...

I've got nine kids and never found out. Well, with my first one, we found out and the technician told us we were having a girl but not to paint the nursery pink. My 15 year old son is glad we took her advice. After that, we left it all until the end and loved it every time! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Mommarock said...

I'm thinking you could take it on as a challenge to make some gender neutral clothing, and decor that are quite beautiful without screaming BOY or GIRL. That way you could just wait it out and enjoy the birth surprise. The newborn clothing doesn't last all that long, and then once you know, you get to make a whole new batch of lovely clothes.

SewSara said...

@ Mommarock - good points ... But I've done the gender neutral stuff 3x already and I find that once the baby arrives, I want blue or pink ... not yellow. Then those things end up not being used.

I'm torn!
Thanks for all the input so far :)

Rachel Linder said...

I've always found out. Part of me would like to wait, but I think it's a surprise no matter when we find out. I have a very good friend who didn't find out for her 1st 3 kids and in fact never had an ultrasound at all. She then got pregnant and lost a baby after baby #3 and had her first and only ultrasound to confirm the baby had passed away.

So when she got pregnant with baby #4 she decided she wanted a positive ultrasound experience and found out they were having another boy. She really wanted a girl and thought she'd be disappointed if she found out they were having a boy, but it was quite the opposite. They are now 6 days away from the arrival of baby #5 and they found out again this time and have loved planning for their baby GIRL...their only other girl is 9.5yrs old.

I think either way brings joy and excitement.

KellyS said...

We found out with both of our pregnancies too. For the twins, it was easier to tell people we were having boys and then get cute boy things, not gender neutral. With this pregnancy I almost wanted to wait, thinking I may be disappointed with another boy, but they say she's a girl... still no confirmation on that though. It would be really bad if we went through the finding out process only to find out they were wrong... I loved being able to make girlie things in preparation for her arrival!

Amberlee said...

I SOO think you should find out! Just like everyone else has said-- it's still a surprise--just at a different time. Now a days there are too many cute fabrics and other baby things that are totally gender specific and too cute to pass up. FIND OUT! :)

Heather Guymon said...

For me personally it's a surprise no matter what and I am a planner and so I like to be able to buy/plan for what's coming! LOL I say go for it, it's your last!!!

robin said...

Why don't you pray about it and let the Lord help you decide?

Laura said...

I never found out with my 3, but I might if I was pregnant again. (not gonna happen) When my first was born, they didn't really do the "find out the sex of the baby" thing. I ended up having to have a c-section. I wanted to have the second naturally, but she also had to be delivered by c-section, and knowing this was a very distinct possibility, we decided that IF I had to have another c-section, I would kow what day the baby would be born, and the sex would be the only surprise left. We chose not to find out. By the third we knew it would be a c-section so we didn't find out. I can see the advantages of knowing and might do it now. Good luck with your decision.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I like to wait till the end. Plus I have had 2 friends due within days of each other, both get told early on and throughout their pregnancies what they were having, and they were wrong. Good thing we all knew each other, they just swapped clothes and crib bedding so they had the right gender stuff in the end. So you could end up making a bunch of blue stuff and then giving Ruby another sister. Nothing is guaranteed until the little bundle of joy pops out.

Anonymous said...

We'll find out for the exact same reason . . . so I can make stuff for him / her. I feel like it helps me to get to know the baby better. We figure out a name and it becomes much more personal, rather than an unknown baby.

Lynita said...

We have found out every time and this time I wanted to wait, but my hubby didn't. So either way make sure you're on the same page! But if you're leaning towards finding out just do it, cuz the moment the child is born is spectacular no matter what!!

Elizabeth said...

It's a surprise, either way, isn't it? I mean, you don't know right now what it is, so you'll be surprised at the ultrasound. I found out with both my kids. It is TOTALLY NOT cheating or like peeking at a Christmas present early (which I would never do).

xo -E

Rachel said...

Find out! yay!

Laura said...

My daughter found out the sex and told everyone but kept the name a secret. She decided because most clothing/sheets/bibs, etc are now specifically for either a boy or a girl. Neutral is much harder to find! Personally, we decided to be surprised each time!

Gretchen said...

I'm gonna comment about this all over the web! I say do it, you've never done it before and who knows you may really enjoy it. I promise you won't regret knowing. Nothing replaces seeing that little face in the delivery room and I think knowing the gender almost makes you anticipate it. I have no idea if that is true since I've never done otherwise. I like what your dad said about doing it for the kids. They are old enough to really get into it. I think it would be cool to spice things up a bit and see how it is on "the other side of the fence".

sb said...

I can't relate to enjoying surprises - I love knowing! It drives my husband crazy, but I'm always trying to peek and find out my Christmas gifts before Christmas. I love the game of it all!

For me, knowing the gender was great for planning. You can have all the clothes washed and ready to go for baby without the last minute rush when baby's home.

Allison Tomasek said...

Have the u/s tech write down the sex or place the "money shot" photo in an envelope. Then take it to a bakery and tell the person to make the cake color pink for girl or blue for boy then have as many friends/family as you're able to have over and then have the kids cut into the cake and you'll ALL find out at the same time! Plus the kids will always (well, maybe not Simon yet. LOL) how they helped mom and dad find out if they were going to have a brother or sister!

By the way, I'm totally saying girl!!

Abby S said...

I have 10 children and (besides the Dr 'slipping' a couple of times) we have never found out! I was so disapponted the times the doc slipped! Strangers ask me, when they'd see that I was pg, what I am having. When I tell them that I don't know most of them get sooo excited and think it's so neat! Even the delivery nurses! My sisters and frinds like to write down the their weight and gender guesses when it's close to delivery. So much fun to see who's closest! Once a lady asked me if I knew what I was having and when I said no she told me, "It seems if it was meant to be that we should find out before baby is born there would be a little window there." I agreed!! It also helps me to get through the pregnancy, labor and delivery!! And.....you won't be disappointed if baby is a boy or girl once that sweet bundle is in your arms! Be different: KEEP IT A SURPRISE!!!!:::)))) GOD BLESS YOUR NEW BABY.

KMServino said...

Personally we find out. I like knowing as early as possible, 15 and 16 weeks for us. I like to use the name and of course shop and this time around sew.

HOWEVER, for YOU I voted to keep it a surprise. I mean, if you did it for all 3 and loved that moment, then why go and change it now. Good luck.

Aideen said...

i voted to keep it a surprise :)if you do decide to find out the gender i like the idea already suggested to keep the baby's name a surprise!

Maren said...

I voted keep it a surprise- especially since you have done it with your others. We were surprised with #2 and then not with #3. I felt a little let down because I found out what she was, but couldn't hold her and I did feel like it was a Christmas present too early. Since we had been surprised before I knew that it was a lot more fun. But you can have it fun either way, and with your sewing skills I'd be tempted to find out!

Anonymous said...

You waited with your other kids, so do something different this time!

Anonymous said...

I didn't read all your other comments, but I found out with both of my children and I didn't feel like it was anything like peeking at Christmas (which I've never done anyway.) It was a total surprise to me the day we entered the room at the 20week ultrasound. Seeing my baby alive and well on the screen and having them tell me...it's a girl...it's a boy! I know that I asked multiple times, "Are you sure?" however, technology has vastly improved over the years and I think it's less likely they'll be getting it wrong.

Either way, I think you'll be surprised...but do what's best for you and what will make you both happy!

Kelly H. said...

I found out all 3 times, and the suspense and surprise was just as good the day we found out as I could imagine it being. I loved being able to "plan," purchase and decorate for the new baby. It also was nice to give the baby a name and help the older siblings grasp the concept. The amazement in the delivery room was no less, as we were seeing our new miracle for the first time. I would find out again if we were ever to have another one.

As far as the surprise goes, friends of mine have used variations on "finding out." One had the answer sealed in the envelope and had their oldest read it to them at a chosen time. Another friend borrowed an idea from somewhere to have a "gender cake party. The "results" are sealed in an envelope, and handed to the bakery, where they colored the cake either pink or blue, and frosted it white. They had a family party about a week later and the sex was announced to everyone in the room when the cake was cut- so everyone "got in" on the surprise. That was neat.

Brant and Jana said...

I think the suprise is better than the ultra sound tec saying here it is! What we did is not go there and then write it down and seal it in an envelope then we go pick out a small item represtenting what gender we think it is going to be. Then we find out together what it is. This helped our daughter ease into the fact that it was a baby brother not sister! Good Luck

Amber said...

I voted FIND OUT because my husband and I just decided to find out with our second baby and... well I guess my vote is just selfish :)

Anonymous said...

Since it's your last, go all blue or pink! It's so fun to sew up cute things in those colors--especially since you've done the neutral thing 3 times already. This way, you'll know what it's like to do it both ways. For me, I don't wait for ANYTHING, so I always find out. :)

Marci Girl said...

Well I just voted yes, find out, because I just found out I was having a boy. If you do find out, my advice is to keep the name a secret from everyone and you still have a surprise for you family and friends. It is great to find out, let you kids know ahead of time what is in your belly, that sort of thing. Oh and like you said, making handmade things and clothing!

Mindy said...

Okay, I voted no because I love surprises too, but after thinking a little longer I changed my mind. You should find out this time if that's your inclination this time. If you still want a surprise keep it just between you and you Mr. And let everyone else be surprised.

Anonymous said...

Don't find out! My kids all found out what they were having and I feel it took a little something away from such a special event.

Chez Roo said...

If you want to find out, then do it. That moment when you first meet your new baby will never be disappointing, surprise or no (as long as you don't have your heart set on one gender). I had two boys, and knew the second was going to be a boy. When we had third we left it a surprise, but to be honest I was stressed through the whole pregnancy that I might be having a third boy, I wish I had known beforehand. So when my third turned about to be a girl, it was a wonderful surprise - but if she'd been a boy, I might have had to have a wee cry!

ElaineW said...

I voted not to find out but to be surprised. Yes, the other way you could be buying/making gender specific clothes and quilts but I guess I remember when mine were born. Back then--you just didn't know until the baby came. My daughter had the chance to find out before and decided not to. It was fun to guess. We have 6 grandsons and for each one my husband kept wishing it was not a girl because he said it will cost him a fortune--with me shopping.

Smeeker082 said...

I voted to find out, we did with both our boys. I was still emotional and overjoyed when my first came and I am sure I will be when this lil guy shows up. I did like being able to get the room ready and be gender specific. I don't think you can make a wrong choice either way, Congrats!

leigh said...

I have always found out (5 boys) mostly because I want to be prepared. And I'm with the first comment - it's a surprise either way, just a bit earlier!

Anonymous said...

I went surprise on both mine (boy then girl) and I told my hubby that if and when we had a 3rd, I would want to find out. I loved the surprise but I want to see what it feels like to find out before.

The Little Shop of Stitches said...

Our first ultrasound was a blessing and a disappointment all in one. At 4 1/2 months, our little one was healthy and had all of its parts. However, the little stinker was positioned in such a way that the technician simply could not tell the sex of the baby. This was Christmas time, and I was all ready to surprise my family with the big announcement. I bawled. I blame the hormones. Now, we have one energetic six year old boy. Happy and healthy!

Cheryl said...

It's a surprise no matter when you find out. But even though ultrasounds are fantastic now, they can still be wrong! Did you hear about Bro. Russon's grandchild? I can't remember which gender the baby really was (or was supposed to be), but THREE ultrasounds were wrong!! When the baby was born, they were all floored. So much for all that shopping and planning, eh?

None of ours have been mistaken, though. Just to keep you less paranoid. :)

We found out with all of ours and are planning to find out with this one, too. I just simply like to know because I'm a planner. I like to have everything ready for those first few months (clothes-wise), and so waiting would just drive me crazy, what with my control issues. :)

With that said, there's nothing wrong with waiting, either. Honestly, it's no big deal, either way (and don't let anyone tell you different!)

Cheryl said...

Oh, blah! Bro. Rawson. Not Russon!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

I say go for it! I'm too much of a planner so I totally HAD to know! Best of luck. Can't wait to see what you're cookin'! Jenn

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates