Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Save Handmade!

Save Handmade Toys

Did you know that as of February 10th, 2008, it will be illegal to make/sell/buy handmade toys or clothes for your kids?!

If I want to sew a blanket or onesie for my child or another child? ILLEGAL.
If I want to buy a cute handmade toy at a craft fair? ILLEGAL.
Darling handmade toys, clothes, baby gifts, hair acessories on etsy? ILLEGAL.
Etsy! Oh how I love etsy! And I'm not just talking about my shop, of course. ;)

Originally, the act was to make MASS PRODUCED toys safer. Sure, we all want that.

It's called the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act.
"The CPSIA simply forgot to exclude the class of children's goods that have earned and kept the public's trust: Toys, clothes, and accessories made in the US, Canada, and Europe. The result, unless the law is modified, is that handmade children's products will no longer be legal in the US."

Click here or here to learn more. And post the "save handmade" button on your blog!


3 comments:

Angie said...

Ahhhh!!! I was just going to open my own Etsy shop. This can't be! I shall post the button. Why does China have to ruin everything??

Melissa said...

This is crazy-I haven't heard about this until now. Will everyone's Etsy shops have to close? To answer your question about our book tradition ... no, my family never did this. I noticed Josh's sister did this when we were first married. I love books so I thought this would be a fun thing to do. I started getting books before we even had kids. About 5 years ago we finally had enough to do it. Thanks for leaving a comment-I love comments :)

Jena said...

Really? That is ridiculous.

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates