I'm baking a birthday cake tonight for Mr. SewSara.
{He turns 27 tomorrow} He requested
red velvet. He's always said it's his favorite. It's taken me nearly 5 years to make him one. Sheesh! So I was thinking, before I looked around online for recipes, "
hmmm I wonder what makes the cake red?" I've never made one so I thought there must be some secret ingredient. Sure enough. Are you ready for it? Yup, it's just food coloring. A whole OUNCE of red food coloring. When I read the recipe I thought
"hmmm I wonder how much an ounce is." I'm used to dealing mostly with these cute little droppers. You know, a drop or two here or there for pink frosting or light green play dough.
{ok, I am thinking of my mom who made play dough for us. I haven't been that awesome as a mom yet. My kids get the stuff in the yellow can}
Um, no. That's not gonna be nearly enough, little droppers. We need
one ounce of red food coloring for this cake. I saw some recipes that called for
two! One ounce is the big ol bottle! Boy howdy, that's a lot. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this is interesting -- haha! I better get to baking. I got a little distracted there, didn't I?

We all know how much I love red. Let's hope it tastes delicious, too.
I'm using
this recipe.
8 comments:
What better color for a cake than red....miss all-things-red fan! Good luck and I wish I could be there to share it with you. It will be yummy, I'm sure!
One ounce! That IS a lot. Happy Baking and Happy Birthday to the hubby.
"Mr. Sew Sara"...ha ha ha! That recipe looks tasty! Hope it turns out well!
Made red velvet cake for some cake bites that I made from Bakarella. It called for 3 oz. red coloring. My teeth were red after eating the cake bites. The next time I made them I used a Duncan Hines Red Velvet mix. :)
This recipe looks delish. Such a nice wife!
Sara, Red Velvet is my favorite cake, too. I make it and it seems to impress people becuase of all that red. Be careful of what may appear in the toilet after your wee ones go potty (if you know what I mean...it may be a different color than you'd expect) Can't believe I just wrote that for all to read on your blog. He, he.
Yeah, definitely watch the colors in the toilet! My mom once made a green cake for St.Pattys day, and that was interesting! Happy birthday Mr.Sew-Sara!
I have yet to make a homemade red velvet cake because I never have a whole bottle of food coloring on hand. If you're ever in town, one of the best red velvet cakes can be found at the Provo Bakery. MMMMM cake!
It is probably too late, but have you used the Wilton food coloring brand? It is normally at craft stores, these colors totally work, they make professional cakes with the wilton stuff. Hope the birthday was fun!
Post a Comment