Friday, March 19, 2010

grandma's memory quilt

If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you're probably tired of hearing about this quilt. I promise it's finally finished!

The main reason I wanted to make this quilt was to use the sheet (the back side) that my was my grandma's.
My grandma was sick in bed for several months before she passed away and I remember these sheets
on her bed as we all took care of her and visited her.

I'm happy with how this quilt turned out -- even with all of it's quirks and mistakes. I miscalculated in several spots and if you look close I'm sure you'll see what I mean. If you can't tell, then I'm not going to point them out! :)

I followed the "wonky log cabin" design (found here) and I vow to never do it again. It was WAY too time-consuming.
Each 12" square took at least an hour -- if not more. If I do the log cabin method again, I'll do MUCH wider strips (mine were 1.5").

I had it professionally quilted in a simple stipple pattern and I love it.
It's almost a full-size quilt -- not quite the queen-size I was aiming for, but it still is plenty big to put on a bed
or use for movie watching.






p.s. It's 11pm on a Friday night and I'm baking snickerdoodles.
No wonder I'm having a hard time losing this baby weight! ;)
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Julie said...

Those snickerdoodles are much closer to my house than they were a month ago. Care to send a package up north??!! :)

I love that quilt. The back is superb and perfectly sentimental. Also, I love that your grandma had such cheery sheets on her bed in her final days. I need to take a cue and get rid of all the boring in my house.

Not that that will ever happen, but a girl can pretend, right?

MommyMert said...

Well.. I am prego, and sometimes... you just need something. Even if its super late and its snickerdoodles. It gets ya through. :) Where do you get your quilting done here? I want to get one done and I am curious how much it cost? If you dont mind me asking. xo

Amy Jenks said...

It's absolutely gorgeous! I love it!

Amberlee said...

Oh.... so you're saying cookies don't help you lose baby weight? Crap. guess I found my problem too!
The quilt looks absolutely incredible- seriously- beyond impressed- with the binding and everything complete- wow!
Sure am sad that I won't get to see you while we're in Kirksville. I think about you guys all the time- I really hope things begin to fall into place for you-

Terese said...

Great job! I love all the colors and patterns. I am so impressed. I wish I could make something like that.

Katherine said...

It turned out great! I love it so much! I don't think I knew about your grandma's sheet. That's really neat. I miss your kids and baby Simon is so cute! I still look down your old street every time I drive by.

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates