Friday, August 13, 2010

lilacs and polka dots


I made this dress for Ruby yesterday. I forced myself to choose something other than red for once! I pictured this dress being more purple. But of course it's still gotta have polka dots (I will never get tired of Amy Butler lotus dots -- the go with everything!). I picked up the floral print at JoAnn's recently, but everything else was from my stash - yay!

I used Sandi Henderson's Claire pattern, which I love. I've used it a few times before. The pattern is so easy to follow and the pattern pieces actually make sense. I'm convinced that most sewing patterns must be written by someone who does not sew! Some of them are so mind-boggling, right? I actually cut the binding strip on the bias, too!  Are you proud of me, Megan? I never cut my strips on the bias! This tutorial is great.

I used the same pattern to make this dress, too.

Ruby tried it on this morning but I wasn't quick enough to get a pic. I'll have to add that later. :)
*see a  (sub par) picture of her wearing it here.

linking here!

12 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Sew Cute! I hate cutting things on the bias...it just seems like more work. :)

Mrs. Sojourner said...

Very cute; love all of the fabrics you used!

Ang Campbell said...

soooooo cute! i love that you just whipped up a dress yesterday LOL. Amazing :)

aimee said...

That is adorable. I can picture cute little Rubs in it now.

Nancy said...

I love your fabric choices. I can picture it on your little Ruby!

Bree said...

That is perfect for Ruby! Love all the fabric as usual.

Megan said...

Um, ADORABLE! and I am so proud of you for cutting on the bias, good work! Seriously love it and those colors will look soo sweet on her. (Not like anything would look bad on her anyway!)

I also love all those lotus dots, they are perfect. Wish I had more.

Tamara Jacobs said...

hi sara!
so i miss you tons!
i love looking at your blog...i cannot believe how big simon is already. how the time flies.
tell all your kiddos hi from me and pres:)
love ya!
xoxo
tam

courtney said...

Ooh I love it. I can't even pick a favorite part about it...it's just all over fabulous!

Elizabeth said...

That is sew cute! Beautiful job!

xo -E

Anonymous said...

Um...that dress is soooo adorable!! I love it! You should make dresses like that and sell them on Sew Sara!!!

Quiltstory said...

Okay, I want 4 of those dresses for each of my girls! Love the fabric combination! Beautiful!

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates