I'm posting about Max's quilt for the Blogger's Quilt Festival.
(I am working on another quilt and hoped to have it finished this week in time for a new quilt for BQF, but I had to opt for sleep ... it's been a rough week, just believe me.
Check back soon for a new quilt made from the new Bliss fabrics!)
I made so many things for Simon (my baby) and Ruby (face it -- it's more fun sewing girly things) ... I think Max was feeling a bit left out. He always shows interest in what I'm sewing so I decided I'd make him a nice big quilt. With soft and comfy 'minky' fabric on the back.
I went through my stash and started cutting ONE square from each fabric that seemed boyish (or at least not girly). And white squares in between, obviously.
There is not a single repeat fabric!
He loves it and so do I. :)
I'm going to link up to the Blogger's Quilt Festival ... be sure to check out all the other great quilts that people are sharing!
((which square is your favorite?))
Max likes the car. | I'm so predictable, I know. (polka dots!!) |
I have to give Max credit for the binding fabric, too. He found it (at JoAnn's) and at first he wanted it on the back but I suggested we use it for the edges.
I love how it turned out. I think I want to use striped fabric for all my quilt bindings now!
Fresh from the dryer. Soft and crinkly -- my favorite!
Stick around and browse a bit ... I'd love to hear from you!
Thanks for stopping by ... especially if this is your first time and you've come from BQF.
78 comments:
Great quilt. I love the red and white dotted fabric. I am such a fan of the dots too.
Yes, I'm partial to dots as well. And the striped binding. A totally winning combination!
Fabulous quilt! I'm sure Max will treasure it for a long time. Our poor little boys don't seem to get the amount of sewing time that the girls do.
I can see why he loves it!
is that minkee backing? you are brave! that stuff shifts on me terribly. i bet it's super snuggly!!
I love the binding, good job Max!! I'm a big polka dot fan, too, so I really love those yellow dots that you love as well. Adorable quilt!!
A lovely quilt for a little guy! A true charms quilt - Enjoy the festival - Hugs Nat
Sara, you are so amazing. I can't believe how quick you get these done!
Yeah, the stripey bindings are addictive! Great quilt!
This is a sweet quilt. I love to use stripes on the binding too. Cute kiddos!
Great quilt! I love that you only used each fabric once.
I agree with Max on the car -- but the sock monkey comes in a close second.
Too cute. Clearly, the kids love it too! They look so cute.
I love how unique each square is...what a treasure for your Max! Beautiful!
Great, great quilt. You can tell it was made with so much care and precision. And I love that each fabric is different. I have so many scraps, I would love to do something like this. I love clean and simple lines too.
www.honeybearlane.com
What a cute quilt. Almost as cute as those kiddos!
I love the car! & the monkey! And whatever the white animal in the red square is near the bottom far right... & the blue polka dots... & & &... I just love the whole thing :-)
~ Meagan
Love all of the poka dots! :D
Love the scrappy squares and the quilting over that Minkee is fabulous looking!
It really is an awesome quilt. I love the snuggly back.
A "controlled" scrappy look quilt. Love it !!!!
Love it! So adorable.
Fun quilt. Really love it.
SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com
I like the sock monkey. Cute quilt models.
I <3 this! It's a perfect boy quilt.
I've made a couple similar to this, and we call them conversation quilts. We pick a square at night and make up a story about what's going on in the square.
Patches must be in the air, I just recently finished up a stash buster that used long since leftover squares of fabric from my dd's baby clothes. I had a flannel on hand so we used that for the back instead of Minky though.
Based on what I've read about quilting with Minky your quilting looks amazing!
is it just me or is working at joanns like putting you on crafty steroids?
so cute!! I am sure even if he grows out of it he will cherish it! I love the leave square with the little bird and zebra type animal in it.
Cute quilt and darling children! I have two girls and one son (all grown) and my son (who's 25) STILL loves his quilts....maybe even more than my girls! Keep up the good work.
Love the quilt. I've been collecting stripes especially for binding. I agree with you, I like the look.
I like how you used your stash to make the blocks. It's beautiful. Love the backing, too.
Love the colorful binding!!
Love the quilt, great fabrics
Great idea for a boy quilt. Great memories of him helping too! : )
What a cute quilt & those kids holding it are pretty cute too!
Team Polka Dot! I love this quilt - it's bright and fun but not too babyish/childish so it will definitely grow with Max. And I agree about only ever using stripes for bindings from now on. I did it on my BQF quilt and I think there's no looking back now!
That looks like a great 'fix' for Max !
I bet that minky feels good on the back.......I was just curling up with my cold and one of my favorite quilts and wishin' it had a softer backing !
That is just too darling, and MINKY on the back, you can't beat that! I love Max's pick for the binding. Your kids are adorable!
I love all the fabrics in your quilt and the fact that you have no repeats is awesome. This is really a great quilt!
NO repeats?! That's amazing. I'm partial to polkadots so I love the blue/aqua polkadotty square. I love stripes for binding too! I'm not partial to sewing with minky though. Bravo for taking that one on! :D
I really like this quilt...so fresh and simple!!!! I may try to make one like this!!! Thanks!
I love it! Max must be soooo glad. Please tell Max that I love the blue zebra square! Jo Anna
Great kids quilt, with all the different fabrics and I like the white blocks inbetween. Minky backing is so great for the kids, nice and soft.
This is a great quilt for Max. No wonder he likes it!
I always like the way white lifts other fabrics.
Gorgeous stripes in the binding too!
Very nice quilt! My favourite square is the monkey block.
It's fun to make a quilt that will be loved and this one certinaly will be.
All strips are GOOD.
I like the Volkswagon block! What a great quilt. It's easy to let the boychildren feel overlooked when playing with fabric so it's extra-special when we get it right just for them.
What a great quilt, and I love that it's backed in minkey! I bed it's SO soft and cuddly!
Beautiful! I like the binding (I've got a thing for binding)! :)
this looks fabulous!
I agree with Max -- the car is the best square! This is a great quilt for scraps.
Angie
I love absolutely everything about that quilt. You did a spectacular job!
xo -El
This is absolutely sweet! Nice job:)
Great quilt - the red polka dot jumps out at me as my favourite square, I too am a sucker for polka dots fabric.
This is my first time in the BQF, so looking forward to seeing all these gorgeous quilts and reading the stories that go with them.
Blessings
Gail
What a great idea! I love that there are no repeaters. Each box is a treasure! I have 3 kids as well, and my oldest guy often misses out since I make most clothes, etc for my 2 girls...I may have to make him his very own quilt as well.
I like your style, think I will follow along :-) Happy festival!
This is a beautiful quilt! I love that all the squares are different! I like how you quilted it as well. I can see why Max likes his big quilt. Thanks for sharing!
This is a beautiful quilt! So colourful, and so boy-ish! Love it!
Hehe! Thanks for remembering to comment on mine...I may have forgotten with all the hooplah (is that how you spell it?). You know I adore this quilt, LOVE all the different fabrics. Love the print v white...fabulously done :)
Wonderful quilt. I love how fresh and cozy it is. the striped binding is so playful. Was the minky dificult to work with? I have been too timid to try it.
What a crisp, clean charm quilt. Love the dots and the stripe binding is fab. Thanks for sharing.
Hope you can pop by and see my 1890 antique schoolhouse quilt and also my black/white/pink scrappy miniature.
This is adorable! I am always looking for great boy quilt ideas for my 2 boys. Beautiful!!!
kristin
http://kheaney-writeitdown.blogspot.com/
Oh I love it when they come out of the dryer. It's the best part. Love how it all came out. The prints are perfect and I am also partial to polka dots too. Thanks for sharing!
I love it! :)
I love this quilt! Just perfect for a boy!!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!
Very cute!
Your quilt is very cute yet great for a boy! Well done!
So fun! Love the scrappiness of it!
Love that boyish quilt!! Cute kids too!!
Blessings,
KT
Cute quilt! I have four boys, but I find I'd rather sew quilts for girls. I need to start sewing more for my boys.
That looks great! Would you mind telling me how big your squares are?
I love the binding on this and my favourite is the blue animal square
darling quilt and a cute story but absolutely adorable children you have!! isn't minky just the most wonderful, soft fabric?!!! made a throw with minky on both sides for my sil when she was undergoing chemo as i'd heard one gets very cold during that and also know how soft feels good when you're not feeling well. thanks for sharing and have a great day
What a fun kids quilt! Good work!
Oh my gosh, you are right... there isn't one repeat in that quilt.... How fun! btw, your quilt models are adorable.
Sorry for being a slacker in visiting blogs. I'm in the middle of a move and I finally have some "me" time to visit and enjoy the festival.
My favorite is the car, too I spotted it right off!
It is great! I love quilting using minkee as backing for the toddlers/adolescents who want their quilts. It's so perfectly cuddly and you can see that easily in your quilt. Fabulous.
My favorite is the snail trails... love that print! This is a beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing.
I LOVE this! Now I know what to do with all those little scraps I have been saving...just need to add white. This is just darling...and very boyish too.
Hi Sara, just so you know I linked to your quilt in my post of one I finished recently for my son. The front was inspired by yours, and the back I made into a hockey theme :-) IT is posted here:
http://ocd-obsessivecraftingdisorder.blogspot.com/2011/01/birthday-quilt-for-my-little-hockey.html
Post a Comment