Monday, January 10, 2011

old skool


I went old skool this weekend and tied a quilt! David wanted a fluffy quilt (not a machine quilted one) and this is my Christmas gift for him ... I'm finally getting it finished. The fabric on the front is a cool pieced madras plaid that I found at JoAnns and I added a border and used a flannel sheet for the back. I borrowed the quilt frames from my aunt and it only took me a few hours on Saturday to tie it. It was actually kind of fun ... I hadn't tied a quilt in years. You can see it was a hectic day ... laundry waiting to be folded, and the kids had their sleeping bags out under the quilt, pretending it was their house. Also, my friend was over most of the day working on a quilt at my sewing machine. It was crazy but fun. Now I'm working on hand-stitching the binding around the edges of the quilt. It's going to be a perfect movie-watching quilt for me David.

9 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Sometimes a tied quilt just fits the bill, huh?! I'm thinking I'm going to do that with my denim quilt.

I like that top fabric. Way cool.

courtney said...

Sounds fun to mix things up a bit! Looks great!

Megan said...

I like those plaids! I haven't hand tied one in years, but I totally agree with you/David that those quilts are a tad snugglier :) I couldn't see your first pic...just me?

Anonymous said...

love it! such cool colors1

The Fullmer Times & Seasons said...

I like the plaid fabric you chose for the quilt.

I couldn't see the first picture, either.


-Melanie

Leslie said...

i have tied many a quilt and many of the best quilts we have are tied by my husbands ancient grandmother. :o)

Wendy said...

The first two quilts I owned were both tied, one with a flannel back. They were SO comfy! They were my inspiration for wanting to make quilts and back then I didn't know there were other quilting methods....I thought all quilts were tied. Definitely on my "to do" list!

AZ Mommy said...

I use sheets on the back of my quilts. I'm lazy!! LOL I've tied all but one of them. I'm not good at stitching straight lines, see above on the lazy.

Teje said...

Hello! Your quilt is wonderful! I love those colours! I haven't tied any quilt but I think I would like that very much! Time to learn and try something new! Thank you for idea and inspiratin!
Teje

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates