Saturday, December 10, 2011
24 Christmas books
I have wanted to do this for a couple years and I finally remembered! I credit the idea to my friend Angie. I wrapped 24 Christmas books and we unwrap one each night during December (and read it of course). The kids are loving this and it actually helps get them excited for bedtime! I had great plans to do more "countdown" things with the kids, but so far this is all we've been doing. There's still time.
update 6/26/12:
If you're coming here from Pinterest:
Who knew this image/idea would be such a popular pin?
I can't even take credit for the original idea, but thanks for your interest.
I've had a few people ask WHAT books we use, and honestly I can't remember and they are all packed away right now. They are just a collection of children's books, mostly. Some are simple board books, others are more lengthy/meaningful books like Polar Express, or that type. I'm drawing a serious blank on titles right now. I do not buy all new books - just use whatever you have.
Thanks for your emails and comments :)
And, please, feel free to stick around and read the rest of my blog if you're visiting for the first time! xoxo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
I'm so glad you guys are doing this and enjoying it!! It's such a fun and easy little tradition to keep up with :)
I saw this on Pinterest and thought it was a fun idea! I had planned to start with the 12 days of Christmas, so thanks for the reminder!
What a GREAT idea! Thank you for sharing this ladies!! :-)
I want to do it next year. We've got about 10 books already, so I just need to remember to hunt them down in the after-Christmas sales so we can do it next year.
We have a really awesome child's advent book that we read each night, but then to read a new book each night that the kids can unwrap? That would be stuPENdous in kid-world! :)
Hi! Wonderful idea! Who wouldn't want a new book for 24 days!
Merry Christmas! x Teje
What a great idea! I'll have to do that when our kids are a bit older to appreciate the countdown concept.
This is such a great idea- I need to work on building our Christmas book library now!
We are doing this this year too! My kids have loved it and fight over who's turn it is to open the book. Merry Christmas to you guys!
We are doing this too and Nate LOVES it! I try adding at least one new book each year to our collection!
We started the tradition this year at my house. We are doing an activity each day to go with the books. You can see a full list of the books we are reading here. http://inspirationthief.blogspot.com/2011/10/christmas-book-advent-calender.html
Next year I tell you...
Sara, not sure if you'll see this comment now, but where did you get the bucket that is holding the books??
What are the 24 books that you have??
What are the 24 books that you have??
I am going to do this for my godson and his family, and my niece and her parents this Christmas, but a little differently. I started buying the books in June, and I am not just buying Christmas books. I'm doing books that they can read now but read even when they are older. I am going to put the date they are to be opened and who is to open the book that day. (I got Karen Kingsbury's books Let Me Hold You Longer, Lets Go On A Mommy Date, and Lets Have A Daddy Day for my godsons family (hoping to get them for my niece too) and I will put the appropriate parents name that day. I think I am also going to write a little paragraph in the front of each book as well with a Bible verse or special memory to go along. Not something I will do every year for both kids, but maybe rotate every other year and not start my niece til next year. I can't wait to see what they think!!
Love this Idea. I would have to buy 3 advent calendar for each of my kids and then go hind them so they don't eat the rest of the candy. sometimes i forget a day or 2. I don't like giving candy to my Kids. My older son saw some of the Books and he is looking forward on opening a book each day. My little girls love books and my Older Son has a hard time reading this might get him into reading. thank you for this idea even though it a little pricey but i think it worth it. Got all the books off of amazon for 3 dollars.
Such an awesome idea!! I read to my 3 yr old every night (my 1 yr old isn't very interested in books at the moment)and she'd love to have something fun like this to do with them! I think i've all ready got the 24 Christmas books anyways! Thanks for such an amazing idea!
Post a Comment