I have got to keep this blog alive. Does anyone else feel like Facebook and Instagram (or other social media outlets) are killing blogs? I still read blogs, but I am awful at commenting.
Even now, I sat down with the laptop to finally make a blog post, and I started to get distracted with Cyber Monday deals/emails and facebook posts. Ahh! I mostly just want to ramble and get some random thoughts out, so let's start right here on this topic - Cyber Monday. I am not a Black Friday shopper, nor am I a Cyber Monday shopper. But still, I feel anxiety over the deals I'm not getting. Am I missing something huge? Are there $10 lego sets getting snatched up? Or will all the cute Christmas pjs be gone? I haven't even started shopping or preparing for Christmas. But I have been working on lots of custom sewing orders, and trying to stash that money aside for Christmas gifts. If things are ever too quiet here (and my etsy shop looks sorta empty), just check my Facebook page. I have been posting photos of some custom orders before I ship them out.
I have no clue what to get my kids. If we walk the aisles of Target, they'll point to a hundred things they like/love/want/beg for, but it's all just more STUFF. I don't want to buy them things just because I'm in a time crunch. And I can only sew them so many quilts or pajamas or bath robes. Plus now I have four kids to buy/sew for and, whew, that is expensive and time-consuming no matter how you look at it.
Simon and Greta are easy. They are little enough and don't need much and will be happy with anything. Max and Ruby are getting to tricky ages. They are wanting electronics and I feel like they spend enough time on the computer and playing phone games or watching TV as it is! And I refuse to get a Wii or other gaming system. I want to give them things like sleeping bags and flashlights, but how exciting is it to play with a flashlight on Christmas day? Ruby is only in Kindergarten and she's already telling me she's done with "baby dolls and princessy stuff." She wants books and a purse and "big girl" stuff. Anyway. Please share if you have any gift ideas. What are you excited to give your kids/nieces/nephews/etc?
It's late and my eyes are glazing over. I had to feed Greta twice while writing this post. No wonder it doesn't happen too often anymore. She is 8 months old and still wakes 2-3times/night. That's ok, though. She is growing so fast and I love her like crazy. I love them all like crazy:
I'm hoping people are still reading. But maybe you're reading from your phone, with one hand, while nursing a baby, stirring the mac-n-cheese, or waiting in the pick-up lane at school. I'm right there with ya.
Maybe just drop a line on this post if you are still reading?
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


26 comments:
I'm still reading!! I just did a post this morning about my feelings toward FB!
Still reading, just reading on the fly so time for commenting is short. I usually read early morning while having my first cup of coffee and rarely am able to form syllables let alone words or sentences. I enjoy hearing about the kids - can't believe how quickly they are growing! Don't stop posting!
I am still reading! I love hearing about your little family. We got our granddaughter some duplos, lots of books, some pjs. It is harder for us to stop shopping for her and think about the adults (especially the adult men) that we need to buy something meaningful for. Take some time each day to stop and look around. It all goes by so quickly!
Reading. ;)
My kids dont need stuff either.
Luckily one wanted a bike.
I think the camping stuff is a great idea. My kids got headlamps from Santa for camping a couple Christmas's back and they LOVED playing with them and still do. Art supplies was a big hit--more so then the usual markers/crayons... stuff we dont usually get. My kids love books, so they get those. Games and puzzles always go over big here. Oh...we did a soccer net and soccer balls once. Any of these help?
I am still reading. I love reading your blogs, no matter what they are about.
My girls are 8 and 6.5. The oldest wants chemistry/science stuff and a boy barbie. The youngest wants everything. We believe in less is more.
I think a flashlight would be a great gift. Get a hand shadow book to go with it.
I'm still here.. hanging out in Scotland and reading from my desk at work. Totally agree about FB killing blogs, I post way more on my FB Page (www.facebook.com/anneeappleaday) than I do on blog.. but I'm trying to do better.
Love to you all x
I enjoy reading your blog!
I have you on my blog reading list and still read! I had an idea you might like. Try going small with Christmas gifts for your own children but do a service project where you buy gifts for a family in need. Involve your kids in every aspect. The buying, the wrapping, the giving, etc. I'm sure they will have so much fun and it will be memorable for them. If they wonder why they aren't getting as much, just remind them that instead of getting this year, they are giving. It's an idea I want to try when my kiddos are a little older to understand.
I still read! I too am still nursing a 10 month old every two hours! I saw a cute puppet kit and blanket fort kit on Pinterest I am going to try and do for my 6 and 3 year old. They are getting some electronic stuff but that is their grandparents and dad!
I still read! I too am still nursing a 10 month old every two hours! I saw a cute puppet kit and blanket fort kit on Pinterest I am going to try and do for my 6 and 3 year old. They are getting some electronic stuff but that is their grandparents and dad!
I am still readying. I feel the same about gifts for christmas too.
I read. I'm sure you don't know me, but I was a couple of years younger in high school. You are so very talented and inspiring! For my kids we're going very simple. Santa is bringing an ipod touch for the family (we already have one, but it's nice to have two sometimes). We are giving the 7 year old Lego's. The 5 year old is getting her very own craft box filled with markers, crayons, colored pencils, a ream of paper, pom-poms, pipe cleaners, and perler beads. The 1 year old is getting her own purse and a baby doll. Easy peasy. Now, if someone could tell me what to give my hard to buy for husband, I'd be thrilled!
Buying gifts is so tricky!The kids are always the hardest. There is so much out there. Love seeing your custom work. It's so cute. I'm just about ready to go back into nursing mode with the birth of a new baby in a week or two and I will be reading blogs while nursing again, though I'm sure to use my nook tablet for reading lots of books too.
reading :) While nursing a baby to sleep. :)
I like to get our children games and outside/driveway toys like scooters, roller blades, ripsticks, bikes etc. to keep them busy and outside during Christmas break. We live in a mild climate so it works out. The games get the family together in the evenings.
Abby
Taking a moment to read while my little boy is passed out on my stomach. If he was awake he would be trying to grab the phone/computer from me :)
Hi! I am still reading, but life is so busy at the moment I don't often take the time to comment. I probably try and read and keep up with too many blogs, there are just too many interesting people out there LOL!
If only you could comment through my google reader app, I'd be so much better at commenting! Still reading :
I read (still, and follow you on FB and instagram)! Keep posting girl :)
I am excited to give my daughter a new board game. We love playing together!!
I made my nieces (ages 2,2,6,8) and nephews (ages 5,7) pj's and got them each a book and stuffed animal (from kohl's...so cute).
Also, that face Simon is making in that pic is killing me! Very funny.
"But maybe you're reading from your phone, with one hand, while nursing a baby, stirring the mac-n-cheese, or waiting in the pick-up lane at school. I'm right there with ya."
Can I admit that I got a little teary-eyed reading that part because it so perfectly describes the way that I experience blogs nowadays. I hate it. I want to comment (my Google Reader has about 70 posts 'marked as unread' because I've intended to go back and comment on the posts). I miss this kind of communication.
I'm taking a Facebook hiatus (not completely, but I've realized I spend WAY too much time on there recently, so I'm just going on once a day - twice at most. It's been liberating. I think I was addicted. I hate to admit that. But my poor blog is living proof of just how addicted to the quick and easy posting Facebook offers. I hate that. What memories am I preserving through Facebook?? None.
Anyway, I'm glad you're posting - even just a little bit.
We do Christmas pretty big at our house, but not crazy. No electronics yet for our kids (we don't have a gaming system and probably never will). Skateboard for Chloe, Rollerblades for Lily, Legos for Brigham, and a DoodlePro for Cannon. Dreamlights for L, B, and Ca. Clothes and books and a few craft things. My kids don't play with toys enough to justify buying them any, so we're veering away from that for the second year. I'm very happy about it. They're still going to have plenty on Christmas morning, as I really do love making it magical and big. But I really like the balance we've struck. I have to be really conscious about what 'deals' I go for. If it was cheap, but it's just going to clutter up my home, it's not a bargain. The emotional cost is way too high for me with that kind of thing.
Oh, and plasma cars. They're getting plasma cars. Got those on a bargain (haha!) in February. I sure hope they like them!
Yes, I think it's fun to read blogs. You inspire me to try things out-sew things I haven't sewn before.
I still read, I love your posts and I forbid to get a facebook account so this is the way I keep up with people. Please keep it up.
I came by and read! Lying on the couch with a stomach ache, on my phone, but I was here!! :) sorry I have no advice about Xmas gifts. I wouldn't even know where to start, other than legos! Love you. Keep posting!
I recently found your blog. We use to be friends on Xanga back when Max and Ruby were little. So sweet to see the two new little ones.
Post a Comment