In case you were wondering!
Simon, our 3rd child, turned 3 and we celebrated 3 days late because he had been sick. I was thinking ahead at Christmas time and set aside a few gifts that I knew he wouldn't miss opening on Christmas morning. I'm so glad I saved them! All I had to do was make his shirt and cake.
A stack of construction paper always comes in handy.
I cut out a bunch of 3's and stuck them all over the house. Easy.
In case anyone is curious...
To make the 3-shaped cake:
I made two bundt cakes. Each one took a full cake mix.
But we used homemade frosting. I really don't like canned frosting. So I guess that's my usual compromise: box cake mix and homemade frosting!
I cut about 1/4th from the top cake.
And almost 1/2 from the bottom cake. I just kept trimming until it looked right.
I frosted it and decorated it with M&M's. The kids were really helpful to separate the colors for me.
We were surprised that there were more blues than any other color.
Hint: for the base of the cake, I simply used the bottom of a pizza box and covered it with wrapping paper. I covered it in clear packing tape, too, so I could wipe off the frosting mess.

We have ALL been sick, so the fact that we are even all in this photo with normal clothes is noteworthy!
Simon's birthday post HERE if you missed it.








7 comments:
Happy bday to the little Si-guy! It was my goal to send bday cards to all the nieces and nephews this year. Simon helped me fail at that already :(. Guess I'll keep trying!
Cut ideas for the 3's I love decorations with numbers and good cake too. Not to mention the cake holder, I alway wondered how to make a cute and simple one.....guess I'll have to order a pizza come bday time :).
Leah, he would still be thrilled to get a late card. Thats a good goal... my kids loves the cards last year :) thanks for your comment!
what a gorgeous looking family.
i love the ideas of sticking "3's" all over the place.
i have just started a new blog and would love you to check it out and follow if you like :)
http://lifewithsherry.blogspot.com.au/
So cute!!!! I was wondering what the cake plate was. I usually wrap a cutting board with plain colored disposable plastic tablecloth. I think I need to do a print next time - the polka-dots make it extra-special! I also saved Christmas presents for Ani :). She already had more than enough, and we are trying to scrimp and save. Any great ideas for cheap princess decorations? I'm thinking streamers, balloons and cutting out crown shapes from scrapbook paper, but would welcome suggestions! My daughter is a GIRLY GIRL. :)
Seriously, you always come up with the CUTEST decor and ideas for your birthdays! I love how simple, yet so dang cute everything is -- I need to copy this somehow. :)javascript:void(0)
Your family looks so good! Those kids are so stinkin' cute. Sure do miss you!
Hi! I'm Paola from Spain. I just discovered your blog now. Congrats, is fab! You are a super-mum...4 kids and still sawing? WOW!
Take care,
paola
Post a Comment