Friday, March 8, 2013

My oldest


How is it that my first baby is getting so big? The boy who made me a mother. The one who started our family? The sweetest big brother I know. My big 1st grader. He will turn eight this summer, and he's such a good boy.

I have been feeling extra emotional lately as I've followed Mitchell's Journey. A sweet boy, who happens to be a neighbor and friend of my brother's family here in Utah. His passing has really made me pause to think about what and who is truly most valuable to me. Our time here is so brief, life is so precious. My heart truly goes out to his family. Especially his sweet mom. 

Last night we had the chance to go to Walmart, just the two of us. It made me realize that I don't get enough one-on-one time with him. Maybe because he's at school all day, and the little ones are around more (even Ruby, since she has half-day kindergarten). And maybe because he's just getting more independent and doesn't "need" me as much as the little ones. He's at that point where he kind of takes care of himself. It's such a bittersweet feeling to watch your children grow up. I'm so happy he's healthy and thriving, yet I sometimes long for the days when he was just in diapers and my little sidekick.



While we were at the store, he held my hand. And at one point he sat in the shopping cart (in the basket part of course, not the seat). And I wondered how much longer he will still hold my hand in public. Or at what point he'll decide he's too big/cool to ride in the cart. I remind myself I just have to cherish every age and stage with my kids.   I watched him wander up and down the toy aisles, trying to find something under $5 (the amount he had saved/earned). He was in his own little world, wishing that lego sets weren't so pricey. And he was thrilled when I let him have a candy bar at the check-out. He always chooses a classic Hershey bar.


Doesn't he look so grown up here? Handsome, I think.

We chatted in the car about school. Who he sits by at lunch. What games they play at recess. They did a word search in class, and those are his favorite.
And he told me a new joke:
What goes "ooooo?"
....A cow without lips.

I love my Max!

3 comments:

Ang Campbell said...

LOL. I love his joke :)

And I feel the same way about Toby. Different scenario (with him as my 3rd, etc) but same feelings. They grow up so fast. Some nights it's bedtime and I realize I've barely had face-to-face time with him. It breaks my heart. Last night he climbed on my lap (ooof! he's heavy!) and snuggled a while and it was such a lovely (and rare) lovey-dovey moment <3

Angie said...

After I took Sammie out on a mother/daughter date this week, Gabe was really upset that I have never planned an official one for us. So, looks like I need to realize that my 9 year old son DOES still want to spend time with just me. I'm booking our play tickets this weekend!
And following Mitchell has seriously changed my life. I try to catch myself before I'm angry with my kids for something so insignificant. I'm not perfect at it--but I always picture Mitchell's mom carrying him down the hallway and it makes me pause and regroup.

Calli Makes Do said...

It was so fun to spend time with you too. We need to get make it a tradition. Your children are darling!

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates