Sunday, May 31, 2009

strawberry dress

I made this dress for Ruby last night and crossed my fingers that it would fit. I always do things like this late at night when the kids are sleeping, so I couldn't really measure her.

I had been wanting to try this pattern ever since seeing all the cute dresses that Heather made for her girls.
It's the Claire pattern from Sandi Henderson. And who knew that shirring was so fun and easy?! (Shirring is the elastic stitching around the neck/chest/arms). Sandi has a great tutorial on her blog.



Isn't the fabric just so "Ruby?" Or, "so sara" whatever you prefer. You know I'm a sucker for reds and polka dots. That strawberry fabric makes me weak in the knees. I bought it several months ago and had been waiting for the perfect reason to cut into it!

Yup, it fits! A bit long, but hey it's not her fault she's got short parents. :)

"Toss your baby on the grass and smile -- quick!" This was right as we were running out the door to church this afternoon.

And, of course, she had to test out the "twirl." A fun dress for a fun girl :)

14 comments:

Amanda said...

Really? Just whip it together after the kids are aleep? Amazing. Darling dress!

dianep said...

What a cutie pie. And I love the teeny tiny toes in the flip flops -- red, of course!

courtney said...

That is adorable! I love that it's so long on her, too. See what I was talking about with you always completing projects?! Too cute my friend.

jefferies said...

That is so cute! It makes me think of the dresses that my grandma used to make for my sisters and I in the 70's. Love it!

Margaret said...

That is so cute. I love the fabric.

TLJ said...

oh tha tis the cutest dress ever! i love love love it! good job!

Amber said...

I love that dress! I wish I could sew like you! You are very inspiring!

The Wilkins' said...

I'm not sure which is cuter... Ruby or the dress! I am loving both! :)

Amy Jenks said...

Adorable! She's alwayss so cute and was especially cute in that dress.

The Fullmer Times & Seasons said...

Very cute & fun!

Fresh Poppy Sisters said...

Sara...that is SUPER cute. Love the fabrics. Love (and am jealous of) how fast you got it made. Mine were pretty long too, which I liked for my older girls, but I did shorten the blue one I made 2 for Sophie, I was worried they looked like jammies. ANyhow, cute cute dress!Heather

Jed and Lizzy said...

Love the dress! I'm so into that style right now. And I agree about shirring. Lydia has those sandals.

DeGooyer Family said...

WOW - you are so talented!!! Oh - is that the table?

Jena said...

I love it! Rylee wants to wear the skirt that you made her every day! She adores it. Ruby looks absolutely adorable as usual!

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates