Saturday, June 6, 2009

pom pom shorts

I finally went through the drawers and put away all of my kids' winter clothes yesterday. Ruby had a huge stack of jeans and there were a few pair that looked like they'd make cute cut-off shorts. At first I thought I'd just do it old-skool style and let them fray at the bottom. But of course my mind wandered and I thought it would be fun to add something to the bottom. Enter: pom-poms. I wasn't sure if I'd even like the finished product or if they'd look dorky on Ruby, but I could always cut them off if that happened.


But I think they look pretty darn cute on her. :)
What do you think? Cute or dorky? (obviously if you think dorky, you should keep that to yourself. haha)


Anyway ... here's how it went down.







It's a fun way to use those old pants that still fit, but aren't quite worth saving for a hand-me-down. It's an easy & quick project! If you give it a try, I'd love to see. :)

*******

Here's another pair I did this morning. I asked Ruby if she wanted ric rac or ribbon and she decided on the "wic wac." These will fray along the bottom, but I think it will be cute. Pretty self-explanatory ... just cut them off and sew the ric rac along the bottom!

I also sewed shut those pesky flaps on the back pockets. I did that to a pair of my pants once and it really makes a difference. Easy peasy.

15 comments:

Amy Jenks said...

WAY CUTE!! Love love them!

Jena said...

I cut off Rylee's shorts and just let them fray. Leave it to you to make them look like $50 cutoffs! I love it. thanks for sharing. Ruby is a doll.

thesquiresfamily said...

Too cute! You are amazing!

Amber said...

What a great idea for kids clothes. I love those. I secretly want to do that to my own. :)

Tamara Jacobs said...

brilliant and adorable!!! i want to try this! i love your ideas! we made it to utah yesterday. have a good month...we'll keep in touch through the good ole blogs:)

Bree said...

So cute! I wish I had our pants with us so I could do that to the girls old jeans. You are so amazing.

Kate said...

I think: CUTE! For sure! Especially the 'wic wak'ones.

Meechelee said...

Wow Sara you have done it again!!! What cute cleaver ideas for short cut offs! I love love the what you have done with the ric rac and pom poms!!! Also the pocket idea is stellar!

aimee said...

Shut up---so cute. Miss you guys. Max looks so cute with the buzz. Poor J is going to sweat all summer long :)

Sarah and David said...

those are so cute! I always love all your stuff!

Amberlee said...

LOVE THEM! but really I don't think that there is a thing you do that I don't just love :)

Tia J said...

Super cute idea!!

andreyandjami said...

SUPER DUPER CUTE!!! Great imagination! To bad I had a boy!

Melissa said...

I have been meaning to leave you a comment forever. You are always so sweet about leaving comments-I need to be more like you. I can't believe all the cute stuff that you make (and late at night after the kiddos are asleep no less). I have a closet full of projects that I started at Relief Society and never finished! No joke there are at least 5 craft projects sitting uncompleted in the hall closet. On of these days . . .

Jill said...

So cute Sara! You are way too creative! Love em'!!

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates