Hello! I am so excited to be trading blogs with Sara today and to meet some of her lovely readers :) A little about me: My sister and I design quilt patterns together, Fresh Poppy Design Quilt Patterns. We discovered a love for quilting in the last few years when we realized what adorable things you can do with applique and modern fabrics. From that we decided to create our own crafty blog, Fresh Poppy Design, where we share a million different craft ideas, tutorials, etc! And even more recently decided to create a blog where we feature finished quilts (from you!) and the story that goes with on a blog called QuiltStory.
I moved about 5 weeks ago and so I've been doing a little too much shopping to settle in to my new place. I've also been doing a lot of repurposing with my old things too! Here are a couple little projects I've worked on lately (and maybe an idea or two for you):
Project 1: I had a big empty wall and a pile of mismatched frames. After speaking with my personal design consultant (aka my sister Heather) I set to work. I spray painted them all so they would match each other:
Notice the two blue frames, which are actually those mirrors from Ikea for $1.99.
(PS avoid spray painting with an 18 month old around)
(SewSara commentary: Little Ollie is sooo cute huh?!)
All of my frames were quite ornate, and then I had these two Ikea mirror/frames that were quite modern. My solution? Have you ever noticed in a Michael's or Lowe's the wood applique pieces? Just a little bit of wood glue and a whole new frame!
And the wall:
Project 2: Can I say how giddy I am to be near a TJ Maxx again? And not only a TJ but one with a Home Goods! I never knew the excitement. While strolling through one day I found this caddy/organizer on clearance for $5.
I thought it'd be a perfect little organizer for my envelopes, stamps and some adorable address labels from a thoughtful friend, Sara. (Seriously, isn't she the best?!?)
I used the same little trick up my sleeve, wood applique, and some left over spray paint for a little pizzaz.
(Save those 40% off coupons for Michael's and then they are only a buck or two for the wood!)
I really really love how it turned out!
(SewSara: me too! Good work, Meg! And I have to say, it's even cuter
than what I pictured when you told me about it on the phone)
I got a little crackle effect on the front and a few other spots. I think it may have to do with my problem that I want to do thing when I want to, regardless of 110+ degree temps, but I'm just going to call it an artistic effect!Thanks so much for trading blogs with me Sara!
Thanks to Megan for her great decor ideas! Don't you just want to grab Ollie and go spray paint something now? Leave a comment if you love this idea as much as I do! :)
(click here to see where we're linking up)
also linking here:






















15 comments:
I do want to grab Ollie and spray paint! Love it! Love the green organizer perfect redo! Cute blog Sara, I always follow, just bad at leaving comments :)
Rather fricken fantastic!
Good on you mate!
cute
Can't wait to see your entry way in person!
It's 6am and it's hot and I can't sleep. I really enjoy love seeing all your creative ideas. PS and your boys are THEE cutest ever!
I love the green! It looks like a whole new box :-)
Love the wood decals.. want to go get some immediately!
I love spray paint. I think people forget how handy, cheap, and easy it can be. My 4 year-old wanted a chandelier for her bedroom so hot pink spray paint to the rescue. Awesome!
Fun post, Megan. Nice to "meet" you!
I have been looking for an organizer but I am too cheap to buy one. I love how you made this one look! The wood decals are such a great idea.
What a great little redo! I love the applique you added -- great idea! That green is fantastic, too! :)
Wow, this came out great ... love it!
I love how you redid the organizer. If I'd seen it at the store, I probably wouldn't have bought it because of the knob. I wouldn't even have thought of adding anything or painting it.
You make such beautiful things :)
Vanesa
I love the color green you used. Wood appliques are the best!
Thanks for linking up to the “Cheap Thrills Thursday” party at Black Kats Design. I hope you had fun and will join in again next Thursday!
Kat
www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com
That is AWESOME! I would never look at that brown organizer and be able to envision what you came up with. Very talented!
Thanks for sharing these great ideas! I will be moving this week and am going to try some re-purposing. I especially love your adorbale photo cluster and "new" frames.
Post a Comment