Friday, October 1, 2010

Polka dot quilt -- "Dot's Crazy"

This quilt makes me smile big time. It turned out exactly how I hoped ... wild, crazy, loud (a lot like it's creator, perhaps?) and happy.

It's been folded on our couch all week and I finally got my sweet quilt holder (Mr. SewSara) to help me out with some pictures this afternoon. Even the pictures don't quite do it justice.



I always have a hard time getting just the right angle.



are you glad I went with the multi-colored stripe? I am.





It was cute, as I was taking pics of the quilt, I saw the kids coming from the corner of my eye. I overheard Ruby say "yeah she made it ... just for our family to keep!" and Max said, "come on, you can see it..."
hehe. 

I tried not to cringe as they put their dirty hands/faces/shoes on it. That's how quilts feel loved, I'd say.

 I couldn't stop taking photos of my 'baby.' All the fabrics together (all 51 of them) just make me giddy! I think I'm hooked on quilting ... it works like an anti-depressant or something! It may sound cheesy, but it's so satisfying to watch the small pieces come together to make something new and beautiful. (i'm sure we could draw a life parallel there .............)

Yes, I believe there are at least 51 different polka dot fabrics. Oh, and the back is a clearance sheet from Target. Which means I still have the fitted sheet to use for another quilt.

Which leads to a confession:
I already started another quilt top with the leftover polka dot squares. 
And I'd like one of my readers to have it. 
Stay tuned! I need to figure out the details. :)


p.s. I was happy tonight to have the chance to hear NieNie speak.
Please tell me you know who I'm talking about. She was so lovely and inspiring!

linking up here!

34 comments:

Katie B said...

This is adorable, Sara!

Ash and Joe said...

that quilt is amazing!!! it is so perfect and so you. i am dieing to win the next giveaway!

MommyMert said...

LOVE it!!!!!!!!!

Ashley said...

I love, love,love that quilt! I wish I knew how to quilt - I just adore quilts.

Elizabeth said...

I really wanted to go see NieNie too, but it was a school night and we had pack meeting and it would have disrupted the whole schedule. I'll be it was awesome! I hope she speaks again soon. And not on a school night.

OK, so, the quilt is FAB.U.LOUS! I totally ♥ it! I'm glad you shared so many pictures of it! I love dots too! Super awesome and the rainbow stripey binding is just right. I loved what your kids said. They say the best things.

xo -El

Jocelyn said...

Oh, man, it turned out so amazingly beautiful and fun and wild and crazy and perfect! I LOVE IT! Love it Love it Love it.
I wish I could get myself to quilt.

And I am SO glad you did the multi stripe! Serious. It is perfect!!!!

I'm peeing my pants a little at how much I love this thing.

courtney said...

I am giddy and silly and smiling a big ridiculous grin as I read this post. I love how happy it made you (and your babies!) I don't know how you could be around it and NOT be happy. We have a sweet new BABY GIRL on the way who would love to snuggle in something similar I'm sure! I'll be watching to see how to enter your giveaway.

About NieNie...I just recently followed a link and found her. Then I cried my eyes out, became obsessed, and have been back reading to catch up. What a beautiful, amazing, and completely inspiring woman (and family). I bet hearing her talk was fabulous.

Kristen said...

That is maybe the cutest quilt I have EVER seen! You are so talented and have the BEST taste! You amaze me pretty much every time you make something new. I can't wait to see what your next project is.

Dedi said...

It turned out so pretty!! I love it. :o)

Leslie said...

wow!!! this looks so great. all the colors are so fun. it is so hard to let a quilt be used and dirty and walked on but it makes it loved!

Ang Campbell said...

Sara it is AMAZING. Absolutely awesome. And yes, I'm glad you went with the multi-color stripe binding. It's a perfect cheerful subtle contrast to the polka dots. BEAUTIFUL work!!!

Christen said...

I am in LOVE! Wow. I was thinking how awesome you are to just let that beauty hang out on the lawn with the kids until I read that you did at least cringe a little! That made me feel better. Ha! Beyond talented, my friend.

The Fullmer Times & Seasons said...

I love your quilt. What a perfect way to put so many different fabrics together.

Quilts are so fun. I totally agree-seeing the pieces turn into a quilt that you can stare at and admire over and over is so satisfying and wonderful.

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Oh Sara, I'm so glad you went with the striped binding. It truly MADE that quilt! Love the pictures of your "admirers" too. It's a real beauty! Jenn

The Benson Family said...

I wish I could sew! I never learned that! Hopefully some day when I have the money to buy a sewing machine then I WILL learn so I can make adorable quilts and more for my future kids and for me too! I love looking at your creations though! You are so talented!

Jan M said...

Love it! The striped binding is perfect! The cute munchkins enjoying the quilt makes it even better!

Miri said...

Oh joyful quilt! Love it!

Tiffany said...

I love it. Seriously- one of my faves. :)
(even the binding :) wink
no seriously- it turned out great!

em's scrapbag said...

I love this scrappy dotty quilt! And the binding is perfect.

aimee said...

So cute---love it.

Karen said...

Since I live a long, long way away I follow Nie Ne via her blogging. What an awesome woman she is.
Lucky I do live a long way away otherwise I think your quilt would quite possibly be snaffled (LOL). I love polka dot fabric too! I am gathering some polka dots for a pinwheel quilt but I am pairing them with some florally type fabrics.

Larri said...

I love this quilt, Sara! It's darling and bright and happy. :o) Visiting from Sew&Tell. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o) Larri at Seams Inspired

ktquilts said...

Great quilt!!! I am totally with you on the "care and keeping of a quilt". My heart leaps for joy when kiddos love it so much they have to cuddle!! Makes all the work worthwhile!!

Blessings,

KT

Meechelee said...

BREATH TAKING!!!! Sara you have done it AGAIN. I love the quilt, it is so fabulous!!! Fabric is putty in our hands I tell ya.
I wish I could have heard Nie Nie. She is so inspiring.

Myra said...

You've got a lovely, happy quilt there! You did a lovely job! Love it! 8-)

Christy said...

Gorgeous!! I wish I lived near you so that you could help me make a quilt!

Quiltstory said...

AMAZING! Seriously, gorgeous! Love it lots...I want one!

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Heather

amylouwhosews said...

love this so much!! I'm a huge polka dot fan! and the stripey binding is perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Jules said...

Just being honest, I am super jealous. Like crazy jealous. Because I am staring at my stack of what seems like a hundred billion little squares that need to be trimmed. Then sewn into blocks then ironed. Then rows. Then ironed. I am over the edge with boredom!!!! And you are all done. Done, done, done. I may never be done. Wah wah.

Jellybean Junkyard said...

AMAZING! I want to quilt. I really want to. But it scares me. The exactness. The precision. I wish I could. I would love to WIN one though! Especially this one!

Megan said...

Soooo cute!!! Do you hate me for commenting on a few of your posts at one time? I always check new posts but take time to comment only once in a while! Seriously turned out so amazing, love the craziness it'st just perf!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara! The quilt is SOOOO cute! :) I am interested in beginning to quilt myself, and I am wondering... how much fabric did you use? I know you used fifty or so different patterns, and I am wondering how much you used of each one! :)

Have a great day!

Heather | Cookie Mondays said...

LLLLOVE! Yay for polkas!

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

So sorry I missed out on this giveaway!! I just came over from Joy's hope. I love this quilt and polka dots are my fave.. I have definatly bookmarked your blog.

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates