So! Who's ready to swap some fabric scraps?!
*raising hand, jumping up and down* "me! me!"
I figure we need to have some guidelines so here's what I've come up with. Please let me know if you have any suggestions and we can tweak things if necessary. This is my first time organizing anything like this, so let's just have fun with it. K? cool.
1. Sign up below if you'd like to join the swap. Use the link thing at the bottom of this post. Please read this whole post and be sure you agree with everything. And it's very important to decide how many envelopes you'd like to send/receive. For example, I will send out five envelopes of fabric (see #3) and in exchange, I will receive scraps from five different people - yay! This makes sense, right? No pressure to send more than one, though.
2. After you sign up below, email me the following info:
(sewsara at gmail)
your name and blog link
mailing address
how many envelopes would you like to send/receive? (maximum five)
how many envelopes would you like to send/receive? (maximum five)
are you willing to ship international?
(If I don't get an email from you, I will have to remove you from the list.)
I will then email your partner's info next week after sign-ups end. I'll leave "registration" (sounds so official) open through midnight on Friday, March 4th. Then hopefully have the swap info emailed to everyone by Sunday evening.
3. Send a 6x9" envelope of scraps to your swap partner(s). *Please commit to sending scraps by Monday, March 21st (that gives you two weeks).
I bought this package of envelopes at the dollar store.
And shipping should be around $2 or less, I'm guessing.
Stuff it as full as you can! I tried it out just to illustrate how much fabric can fit. Here's the stuffed envelope and then I poured the contents into a bowl. I had Ruby hold it for reference. For all you knew, it could have been a tiny ice cream dish, but no - it's a big ol' mixing bowl!
4. Here's my golden swap rule: "Scrap unto others as you'd have them scrap unto you."
I want this to be fun and not make too many "rules" about what sizes/styles/brands/designers can or can't be sent. Send what you think you would enjoy receiving. Please just don't include pieces under 3 inches. You may even want to email your swap partner and say "what are you working on?" and if she says "a polka dot quilt!" then maybe you could include as many polka dots as possible. Just an idea!
** I'm compiling a post with scrap project ideas, too. so please let me know if you have any inspiring links/projects to share!
5. Grab a button for your blog! And if you know anyone who would be interested, feel free to spread the word. Here are a few different sizes to use in your posts or sidebars.
:: Let me know if you have questions or suggestions ::
I will answer questions in the comment section so everyone can see them.
** I'm compiling a post with scrap project ideas, too. so please let me know if you have any inspiring links/projects to share!
5. Grab a button for your blog! And if you know anyone who would be interested, feel free to spread the word. Here are a few different sizes to use in your posts or sidebars.
Now, go dig into your scrap bin and see what you've got!
:: Let me know if you have questions or suggestions ::
I will answer questions in the comment section so everyone can see them.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Update!I have had several people ask if they can join the swap even if they don't have a blog. At first I said no, but I thought it would be fine. So, just to keep things organized, sign up below if you do NOT have a blog.
If the form requires you enter a blog/website URL, you can just put sewsara.blogspot.com.
I still need the same info (above) emailed to me and everything else is the same!















37 comments:
I want to join! But my scraps aren't designer or anything fancy. Just mostly hobby lobby and joanns. :/ can I still join though?
I'm not sure that I have enough scraps to send. I'm going to go through my stash asap and see.
I am hoping to make the Bottled Rainbow quilt at Stitched in Color so I will be on the lookout for a variety of colors to send/receive. It would be fun to see the quilts we make! Do you have a Flickr group?
Can I still join if I don't have a blog? This is perfect for me because I'm making a no-fabric-repeat hexagon quilt!
So excited about this! Looking forward to seeing what everyone is making with their scraps.
Yippee! Am very excited :-)
I second Leigh Ann
Would love to join in the fun. Waiting to see if a blog is necessary.. I'm a lurker.
Yay! I just emailed you!
I joining the Bottled Rainbow quilt along at Stitched in Color and I'm excited about getting some scraps for that.
You said the scraps can't be smaller than 3"...is that 3" square, or 1" x 3" or 2.5" x 3", or what?
This is gonna be fun!
Looking forward to the swap. I do a lot of piecing with scraps. Looking forward to getting some new fabrics in my scrap bucket!
Sounds great, my scrap stash could use a shake-up! Off to email you!
I would like to join but I don't have a blog. I did but found that I just enjoy reading others more than doing my own.
I sure do like the scraps you have in your envelope!!!
Linda
nana947@hotmail.com
This sounds fun! I have a TON of fabulous scraps to share!! Thanks so much for organising it!
I'd like to leave it open for those who have blogs ... at least for this time, since it's my first time organizing something like this. i think it will be fun to see who you're swapping with and be able to click on each others' blogs for inspiration/follow-up.
to those w/o blogs ... i encourage you to start one! :)
@ Alyssa - yes, still join!
that's the fun of a swap ... you never know what you're going to get!
@ Melissa - I'll leave that up to you. I think if it's 3x2.5, that's no big deal. Or if it's a strip that is 2.5"x20" ... i'm sure you could still include that. I was just trying to give a general guideline ... does that help?
You could always ask your swap partner if she minds getting smaller pieces, even. I know a lot of people do strip piecing with tiny sizes.
thanks!! :)
Do you think you'll do this event more than once? I literally just used up all of my scraps :-( This is such a fun idea!!
I'm really looking forward to this
This is going to be a blast! Just posted this on the "Scrap Quilt Challenge" Facebook group that I'm a part of. If you're interested in scrap quilt ideas, those ladies have LOADS! Here is a good site to get started:
http://www.quiltville.com/index.html
@ Caty - I hope so! We'll see how this one goes, and if everything runs smoothly. If we all have a good experience and it works as it should (fingers crossed) then I think it would be fun to do, maybe quarterly or so?
@ Carolina - thanks for the great link and posting about it!
Crossing my fingers that it works so I can do it next time!!! So excited!! have fun ladies!
I'm in! I just did a private scrap swap & then a big purge when I cleaned out my sewing room so I'm running low ... but I think I can manage an envelope! :] Thanks for organizing this, I'll blog about it this week too!
This is providential! I was thinking last night that I could stand to get rid of a few scraps. I'm not sure how many envelopes I can fill, though. I'll check out my stash and email you soon.
Excited I found this. Not sure I said when I added my link - I can do 5 envelopes too.
As the list of people grows, I am glad that I don't have to figure out who is sending to whom! Thanks for putting this together!
Most of my stash is from jelly rolls, so they are long 2.5" precuts. I'll verify with my partners in swap if they are okay with that. THere's some good colors in there!
: )
Thank you so much for organizing this!
Ooops! I forgot to add my name to the list, although we've already emailed each other. Is it too late to add my name?
I haven't gotten an email yet...but guessing maybe this was just a lot more work then expected?
@ Elizabeth ... don't worry, they are coming. I haven't send any emails yet. I've worked about 6 hours on it already in the past few nights ... so, yeah, it's more work than i thought. hopefully it will all go smoothly :)
Sara, YOU ROCK!!!
Thank you for organizing this for us. :o) You are really sweet to do all this work for a bunch of scraps. :o)
when will you be sending out swap partners. Spring break will be coming soon and I don't want to miss the deadline.
For those mailing from Canada, you'll have to measure and then transfer the scraps to a bigger flatter envelope. I fat 6x9 will jump up to 12-15 dollars! Even a 14x11 is only $2 I think... as long as it's less than a half cm thick.
The Canadian post offices have a plexiglass slot, and if your pack can't fit through, it gets bumped from "letter" to "parcel".
FYI!
: )
~Monika
sorry I didn't hear about this sooner.... I could send LOTS of scraps!
If you have anyone who signed up but does NOT receive an envie of scraps, perhaps i could be your 'scrap angel' and provide for those who lack.... cause I have enough for an army, and I DON'T need any to come back to me!
Dang! I hate that this was long ago, I would LOVE to do some scrap swaps if anyone reads this & is interested, please email me (elzawear [at] yahoo [dot] com)! :)
Post a Comment