Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Sunday/matching dresses

Last Christmas, I bought Ruby's dress but I sewed pajamas for the kids. I decided that I'll rotate each year - sewing one or the other (dresses or pajamas).


Someone commented that the girls looked like Christmas gifts all wrapped up and tied with a bow.


I was really excited to sew matching dresses for Ruby and Greta this year. I thought about it all year, but still I was sewing til midnight on Saturday night!


I realize this sorta gives the boys the short end of the stick but I don't think they care that much.



David was giving me a hard time about all the sewing (combined with the stockings - it was a lot!) and I said "oh don't worry, your heart will be so happy when you see the girls in their dresses on Sunday" and he joked, "yeah, when I take the kids to church by myself and you're passed out in bed after staying up all night!" Ha! Nearly true. I stayed up til 5 am one night, but on Saturday night, I did get a decent amount of sleep. 





The great part is that I bought this red polka dot fabric for about $3/yard! And of course the boys just got new ties. Thank goodness boys are so easy. Same white shirt every week? Yes, please.


I decided to make the ribbons removable, so we can switch them out to not look so Christmasy through the year. The dresses are roomy enough to fit them for at least a year. Ruby and I are thinking pink ribbon for Valentine's Day and blue ribbon for 4th of July. And maybe red or white for the rest of the year?


**linking to Fabric Tuesday!

9 comments:

Mary~Momathon said...

I love the dresses!

Mary~Momathon said...

I love the dresses!

Rhonda the Rambler said...

They are beautiful. Do you mind me asking hat pattern you used?

Jocelyn said...

I love that you made the ribbons removable. So smart!

My girls still like to match sometimes, but not always, so this year I bought them 'coordinating' outfits. They liked that a lot. Unfortunately, I didn't take ANY pictures of the kids in their Christmas outfits! Dummy.

I, too, appreciate how simple it is to dress boys each week for church.

Your dresses and stockings were beautiful. SOOOO beautiful. You are incredible.

Elizabeth said...

What beautiful girls! The dresses are sew super cute! Love those pretty red polka dots {and especially that they were only $3/yard}! And I love the idea of switching out the ties for different occasions!

I stay up late making gifts too. I plan and plan and plan and then when it's almost too late, I start to sew. I wonder why that is?

xo -E

courtney said...

Love it! The whole family looks adorable. And David's comment made me laugh right out loud. :)

Jo said...

Soo cute!

Unknown said...

Which pattern did you use for your adorable girls dresses?

Mandy@ a sorta fairytale said...

You did such a great job with the dresses!! They are adorable! Wish I could sew!... I guess it would help if I had a sewing machine.. lol

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates