Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Preparing for the month of LOVE

I made the mistake of taking down the Christmas tree while Max was asleep. When he woke up and saw all the decorations getting packed away in boxes, he was pretty upset. I assured him that we were just making room for the Valentine's Day decorations.

Only problem? I didn't have any. ha!

So, I got to work last week and made came up with this felt garland. I used my new pinking shears (David gave them to me for Christmas) and just cut the hearts from basic red felt and then did the applique letters from white felt.

{{If you do this, be very careful when you're ironing felt. Keep the heat low, and as an added safety measure, I always put a scrap piece of cotton fabric over the felt while I iron the letter.}}






I believe conversation hearts are all for looks, not taste.
The smell of them reminds me of Elementary school Valentine's Day parties!
Oh how I loved those little valentines in the flimsy envelopes. :)

I have a few other V-day ideas in the works. We'll see if I actually finish them. I always have too many projects going at once.

7 comments:

MommyMert said...

Valentines is my Mucho favorite! How can you go wrong with pink and red?? Love the additions to your abode. But, the conversation hearts turn kinda soft when ya put them on sugar cookies, or pink cupcakes, and than they are yummo! I agree with you though, elementary valentines--envelopes included... Love them.

Amberlee said...

SO cute! The garland is even cuter than I had imagined!

Sara said...

Hey Kari -- will you email me the link to your blog?

Tamara Jacobs said...

SUPER CUTE!

Angie said...

I have had pinking shears for a year and I'm always trying to find cute things to cut. Good idea! And I love the comment about elementary school and the candy hearts. Yes, they do taste like sugary chalk, but smell like young love. :) If I get around to making my V-day decor, I'll send a pic. I'm up to my elbows in baby fabric/items right now and my kids won't nap!

madsenfamily05 said...

So sara, I'm getting into sewing a little bit. Cody bought me this amazing machine for me for christmas. But I was wondering if you could share a trick for me. How do you make your lettering? I love it and want some of my work to have great letters as well. So could you tell me your trick of your trade? thanks :) Whit

Jena said...

That is too cute! My Valentines decorations are all construction paper...lovely, I know! Way to go!

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates