Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ruby Red Dress



Does this dress have Ruby's (or mine) name all over it or what?
I am happy with how it turned out. And especially happy that all the fabric came from my stash!
That, in my mind, is sorta like a free dress. Times like these are why I love to have a stash of fabric. 

Ruby was shopping with grandma all day Saturday, searching for a new dress. She has recently been growing like a weed. She wore her Christmas dress for like 6 Sundays in a row since it was the only one that really fit. Well I don't know if you've shopped for 5-yr-olds lately, but once you're out of the "T" (toddler) sizes, the styles totally change and it's like they (whoever they are) want little girls wearing mini skirts and peace-sign graphic tees only. Needless to say, they didn't find a dress. So I quickly got to work on sewing a dress. I have to admit, I wanted to park my pregnant self on the couch all day but I knew Ruby needed a dress so I pressed on and got it finished!

I used Sandi Henderson's "Claire" pattern (like I have so many times before - here, here,and here are a few examples). Love how there are like three dress options in one pattern.
She likes it and I think she looked really cute in it for church today.

I got one photo before the camera battery died and we had to rush out the door.
Ruby begged to wear lip gloss :)



Fresh Poppy Design

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling! I'll have to look into her patterns; I like that style.

Anonymous said...

Darling! I'll have to look into her patterns; I like that style.

charlotte said...

Sew very cute. And really, what is it with all the clothing designers wanting to put these sweet children in grown up styles so soon? We face the same things in trying to find boy clothes for our grandsons that don't make them look like skater boys. They're little kids for heaven's sake! We just need to sew more ourselves I guess.

Mindy said...

Red AND polka dots! I love it! You are so right about little girl styles, it is really hard to find something sweet and appropriate! You did an excellent job!

AnnieK said...

Oh she just looks SO SWEET in that dress! I bet she feels extra special, too. :-)

Quiltstory said...

SOOO darling Sara! And yes, it has your name all over it :) But definitely fits for Ruby too! Really really cute!

Jocelyn said...

Sar, she looks so darling. And her lipstick is great! My Lily is a lipstick lover and I seriously just think -- go for it, Babe! It's cute and innocent and sweet.

You're so talented, Sar.

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates