Max's 7th birthday was on Sunday! We do friend parties every other year, so this was his "off" year.
He wanted to go bowling on campus and also chose a BYU cake.
We went bowling on Friday as a family. He did get to invite one friend, too. It was really fun and surprisingly, BYU campus is a great place for a birthday outing. After bowling, we went to the bookstore and he got to choose a shirt, and then to the creamery for fries and ice cream. Plus there were nice college students working everywhere who were really nice to the kids. Better than ol' Chuck E Cheese, hands down!
Festivities continued onto Sunday...
Mom had the brilliant idea to get these bags from the bookstore and I used them for goody bags on Sunday. We had Jason and Amanda and kids down for a steak dinner and birthday cake ... combining with Father's Day also! Neat sidenote: Seven years ago, we brought baby Max home from the hospital on David's very first Father's Day. So it was fun to have the days combined again this year. I'm sure when Max is a father himself, it will happen from time to time as well.
We even found BYU wrapping paper! Max got a Batman lego thing, electronic drum set, some nice swimming goggles, a cool handmade hula hoop from the cousins, and some cash from grandma. He was very excited about everything! We were all laughing at his enthusiasm as he opened each gift, even down to the dollar store sticky hands from Ruby and the batteries for the drumset. We decided he'd make a great camp counselor (or EFY if you know what I'm talking about).
I wasn't sure he'd want a number shirt this year so I asked him and he said "oh of course" I said "oh good, I wasn't sure if you were getting too big for them." He said "Maybe this will be the last year .... well, ok, maybe an 8 shirt, too. ... (pause)... Well, actually I think I'll want a 9 one ... and then maybe not 10 because that number is too big for a shirt." I love that he is still not wanting to grow up too quickly, either.
it's hard to read the words on this image ... click to make it larger:
Still can't believe my "baby" is seven years old.Which means I've been figuring out this motherhood thing for seven years, too. Crazy! Max is such a great kid. I think I'm too hard on him sometimes (is that typical of an oldest child maybe? Do all moms experience it?) but I have to remind myself that he's still little. But when you are the "big brother" I guess a lot is expected. He is a great example to his little brother and sisters and I'm so thankful for him. I am lucky to be his mama!!
2 comments:
SUPER FUN BIRTHDAY! I am always impressed with your party making skills. And, I am way harder on my oldest child. And my parents were, and still hardest, on me, the oldest. So...don't feel too bad. =)
What a well celebrated birthday! It's cute how much he likes BYU. Asher insists on wearing a BYU shirt EVER day and not because he's a super fan but because he loves CATS. What the?
Post a Comment