{{hey, wow. this is my 700th post!}}
When I was a mom to just one child, I foolishly thought "There's no way I could possibly love another child as much as this one. Just not possible." If you're a mom to one, then you know what I'm talking about. Then of course my second child came along and I found that my heart swelled like crazy and I loved her just as deeply. If you're a mom to more than one, you also know what I'm talking about! Well, I had a boy and a girl, I thought, so maybe that was the difference. It's just amazing how your capacity to love really grows with each child. Not only do you love the new child, but you love the older kids more as you see them take on the role of siblings!
How could I expect to love my third kid so much? Well, I think because we all love him so much. The trick about trying to record my feelings is that I feel so very inadequate. Words fail me! It doesn't sound very eloquent to say "I love this boy sooooooooooooooo sooooooooooo much, so verrrrry verrrrry much" but it will have to suffice for now. Because I need to be blowing up balloons. Because it's Simon's 3rd birthday!
Simon's birthday was actually Wednesday. He tells everyone that his birthday is "Jan-wary tweny-shird" all the time, but since he was so sick, we didn't have the heart to tell him it was his birthday.
sad sick Simon - even went to the ER one night. he will be fine, just got the croup/flu pretty bad.
But now that he's perked up and feeling mostly better, we'll celebrate tomorrow. When we told him tonight at dinner "your birthday is tomorrow," he said "Oooooh I'm excited!" But then quickly got serious and said "Oh but I'm scared! I don't want my teeth to fall out!" We tried not to laugh and assured him that he wouldn't lose his teeth til he was much bigger, like Max and Ruby.
This is a kid of a million facial expressions. And he's hilarious. I love the things he says.
Here are some that I've remembered to jot down. Some of them are probably only funny to me because I'm the mom. Or they are "had to be there" moments. :)
Simon says:
"Put your hair down so I can marry it like a mermaid."
When he changes his mind about something: "Ak-sheeeee, yes." (Actually, yes.)
"No mom, you are driving ME nuts."
"I only like cats and small dogs."
"Are I driving you crazy?"
Passing some flashing police lights on the side of the freeway, "Was there a pwoblem there?"
Max got The Sandlot for Christmas. Simon calls it "Sandblot."
"Mom I lub you. I'm gon' keep you forever and ever!"
To pause a movie/DVD: "clause it!"
He brought candyland out the other day and I suggested that he go ask Max or Ruby to play. He said "You are my best mom and I love you and you MUST play with me." Of course I played :)
While I was looking in his ear: "Are there bunnies in there?"
Happy 3rd Birthday, sweet boy!
p.s.
remember the day he was born?
i loved not knowing if he was a boy or girl until that moment. choosing a name was easy. it was the only boy name we had agreed on. and it just fit!
Simon's 1st birthday HERE
2nd birthday HERE





3 comments:
Such a beautiful post, Sara. I completely resonated with what you said about not being able to imagine loving another little one as much as you love the first. And then finding out how wonderfully possible it is. And words failing to express the completeness of the love we have for our kids. <3
I love him too!
He is simply adorable. Holy crud. He was a tiny baby when you left...what a doll. My favorite quote? The mermaid hair one. I'm gonna use it.
Post a Comment