Sunday, March 4, 2012

Nesting Quilt

I was making my bed one day and decided I need a new quilt before the baby is born! That was a Thursday. I worked on it all weekend, and by Monday was ready to take it to be quilted. It's the largest - yet fastest - quilt I've made. I made the top completely from my stash. It's simply 12" squares - nothing complicated. I just needed something that would come together fast and easy. I picked out all the springy and bright fabrics. It measures approximately 92x92".

I figure when I get tired of having it on the bed, it will be a great picnic quilt or guest bed quilt.

A close-up of the quilting. I chose a 'bubble' pattern and I love it.

I knew I couldn't quilt this huge thing on my machine, but I was excited to find a quilter who had a one-week turnaround time! If you're in the area, I highly reccomend Sew Shabby Quilting!

For the back, I used a duvet cover from IKEA. Which means I also got two pillowcases - sweet! It's a pretty wild and colorful quilt, and I love it. I knew I wanted something to freshen up our room before bringing home the new baby. Let's be honest, that's where all the diaper changes and nursing sessions end up happening for the first few weeks/months.

I had a little helper (Simon) join me while I was taking the pictures. I couldn't resist getting a shot of those cute toes! Isn't it funny how adult feet are so ugly/repulsive yet baby/kid feet are the cutest things ever?

 You should see how many blankets and quilts I've made for Baby Sister ... it's starting to get out of hand. Yesterday I made 3 more. Well, two-and-a-half. Need to finish the last one today. I don't know what else to do while we wait! 10 days and counting now ...

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the bright colors! and the cute toes!

kelly said...

ooh, i am inspired! i've been wanting to make a new one for our king-sized bed, but that's such a commitment. this is great.

mamabyrd said...

I feel the same way about all the little sweaters I've been knitting for our two little girls to come. Once you get going, it's hard to stop. Your quilt is wonderful. It will surely brighten up those early weeks of no sleep and sore nipples.

courtney said...

You, my friend, are amazing. I love that you did this for yourself (and David!) in a time when everything seems to be about everyone else. Love it! I'm excited to hear about baby! Happy thoughts your way!

Michelle said...

cutest toes!! of course, the quilt is amazing too... how wonderful, you're about to have another beautiful child.

Peg said...

The quilts beautiful and will give you a wonderful memory of making it. I especially love those little toes, every quilt should have them, they're just darling an inviting tickle session lol. Yor children are beautiful too make the most of them now they grow up way to quick.

Carla said...

Wow you are speedy! Love the colors and the simplicity. of your quilt. It sounds like you are in the for the long stretch with all your nesting. Awesome! O how I miss little toes...

Quiltstory said...

It turned our darling! Love it! I can't believe you are having a baby that soon. You better keep me in the loop. Heather

Dee said...

Beautiful as little boys' toes, little girls' toes and baby booty toes!

needle and nest said...

What a fun quilt! And those little toes are adorable! :)

ktquilts said...

You are definitely nesting! Great quilt, you will always remember cuddlie times in it for years to come.

Sara said...

Vibrant colors I like that quilt!! Congrats your new little one coming!

Gigi's Thimble said...

Hi Sara! Remember me? (Amber - from our sewing night with Heather). Anyways I just wanted to say your quilt is adorable. I love it! Way to use up what you had. It looks great on your bed.

Amber

Christy said...

I love it! So jealous that you can just whip one of these up so fast!

Kirsten said...

Beautiful quilt Sara!!

Michelle said...

It's beautiful -- I love all of the bright colors.

Regina Diniz Outeiro said...

Wow, I loved everything: the colors, the little toes...!!!

Angie said...

I am totally in love with this quilt---and I really hope you don't mind---I had to pin it so I could look at it until I can make me one. :) Congrats on all of those little bundles of love you have there. :D

beth said...

I love this one too! ;)

Unknown said...

Lovely quilt. I have the same idea for using a layer cake from Moda to make something similar. I have so much stash I don't know what to do with it all !

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates