As I mentioned yesterday, Max is the VIP in his Kindergarten class this week. Today he got to choose his favorite book and have me come read it to the class. Let it be known that Dad was actually his first choice, but since he had to work, Max settled for ol' Mom. Simon came too. We read lots of books and I didn't think Max had a favorite, per se. I sent him to the book shelf last night to choose one and he came downstairs and said "you're going to like this." And showed me the book he chose:
Funny that it's his favorite because we haven't read it that much. But of course I thought it was cute and we put it in his backpack. Simon and I went to his classroom today and Max introduced us. The kids were all sitting on the colorful rug and I sat in a chair to read to them. Simon and Max stood next to me. I held up the book and showed the kids the book.
And then I felt it in my throat: the lump.
*gulp*
Fight it, Sara, fight it.
I opened my mouth to talk and I was short of breath but surely nobody noticed "Ok, kids, this book is called... " and my voice cracked. My eyes burned and I fanned my face with my hand (classic move) and quickly looked at the teacher and said, "Oh no, this is going to make me cry! I'll blame it on the hormones." She smiled with understanding and I pressed forward. After I said the title, I got control of myself and read the book just fine, but geez ...
next time I'll make sure he chooses a book about monster trucks or something!
with his poster we made for his VIP week.















7 comments:
my little guy likes that book too! it makes me smile when he wants to read it. but it always bugs me that the mom is dressed victorian-style, but they're riding in taxis and eating at hot dog stands.
A couple of different scenarios went through my head as I read. First, you went into labor the morning you were supposed to go read. And then, after I saw you'd made it there, that you were feeling sick and had to run for a garbage can. I'm so glad I was way off.
Did you do Max's name in Legos on his poster? What a cute idea! And he is such a handsome boy!
xo -E
Awwwwwww! I so know what you mean! But I bet his teacher thought that was really sweet. It melts my heart every time I go to kindergarten and my boy can't stop hugging me and winking at me and waving to me. How can we ever let them go????!!!
I'm glad your water didn't break while you were reading or something! Ha!
The book Love You Forever still does that to me every time. My son is 13 and STILL, when I see or even think about that book my eyes start to water and my nose begins to drip. He thinks it's hilarious...but he's still my baby!
Very cute! Still no baby? Hmmm . . . I'm curious as to when she will come!
Mercer Mayer - we have about 50 of those books. My three year old loves them. I blamed a lot of my crying on hormones when I was pregnant! I don't have an excuse now! Terri
Been on vacation and just now catching up with all the blogs I love to follow....this just made my day. Max, you are fantastic young man!
Post a Comment